Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
cottontail rabbit endagered species? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Keeper

Default cottontail rabbit endagered species?

I can remeber when I was a kid back in the 60's seeing so many rabbits that I only took shots at ones sitting. Central Ohio has really changed during my lifetime. Fence rows are gone due to bigger more effecient farming practices. The creeks and river banks have been cleaned of habitat. Wetlands and other low spots have been tiled to remove water and reduce habitat. How I miss the small 20 to 30 acre fields that held pheasants and rabbits. I don't blame the farmers for making their land more productive, they have little choice. Plus sprawling urban housing developments take away habitat.
Public hunting areas are depressing areas to me. Thousands flock to these islands of properly managed wildlife areas to shoot a few released pheasants. I might add that very few rabbits are there as I have found out.
I would really love to see the rabbit population return so that young hunters could have the thrills I did. And how delicious to eat when browned then baked with a few strips of bacon.
I see alot of interest in our deer herd, wish some more people would jump on the band wagon for cottontails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Keeper

Default Cottentails

well imade the same observation and a friend of mine answered my question very sinple have you noticed the drastic increase in the coyote population end of story bob
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLEYE651 View Post
well imade the same observation and a friend of mine answered my question very sinple have you noticed the drastic increase in the coyote population end of story bob
Yep, I agree. We go through ups and downs with the rabbit populations in my backyard. One season they are all over the place with little ones, and then they don't seem to be anywhere to be found. There are coyote tracks in the snow and an Eagle's nest .3 miles away that has two full grown adults using it.
I also hear three Great Horned owls (in triangulation) when I go out on the deck late at night sometimes too. Those bunnies don't have a chance.
Oh, and the feral cat population in my backyard is down quite a bit right now too. Used to have about 5, but I only see one from time to time now. Cars take care of most of those, but I'm sure a 'yote has grabbed one or two too.

It's a hard life being a bunny rabbit.....

Just my observations....

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
alot of bunnies

Default rabit

well in sd there is no shortage took the kids out with a bunch of freinds and we shot over 100 and that is just shooing at the sitting ones with 22,s. This is on public land after pheasant season so there have been a couple people out there. Kids just love it when they do the back flip in the air.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

Not as many rabbits as there were when I was a kid and coyotes were rare around here, but there are plenty of tasty little bunnies to thump. And here in MI the cycle is on the upswing. I usually hunt bunnies with a hound, a 20ga with 2 3/4" 7/8 oz #7 1/2 or #6 and keep the 2nd round in the magazine a 3" 1 1/8 oz load of #2 just in case we jump a 'yote, which happens with too much frequency in some areas. It only stands to reason the 'Yotes want to be where the bunnies are too.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

When I was a young kid it was so much fun to walk the railraod tracks near my house and shoot my limit of rabbit or squirrels in no time at all with a single shot .410. You didn't even need a dog! I agree with what many of you have said, coyotes, fox and hawks have not only depleted the rabiit population but the squirrel population too. I can't tell you the last time I saw a squirrel on my golf course or even in my yard. If one happens to show it's face, the redtails are on it in no time at all!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Minnow

We used to have a very healthy cottontail population. Not anymore. Same for ruffed grouse and pheasants. I always purchase a small game licsense but can't remember that last time that I hunted squirrels, rabbits, or grouse. The squirrel population is fine but I don't care to hunt them on Michigan's opener in September because of the heat and start hunting whitetails with my bow in October, with a fall turkey hunt thrown in here and there. After deer season finally closes on January 1st I'm too burned out on hunting to go after them. Add in fall salmon and smallmouth in the fall and I just don't have the time for small game hunting anymore. It's kind of a shame because hunting the squirrel woods with my dad and older brother have some very fond memories.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Keeper

Default Tough Choices but fun

7mm we are truly blessed to live in a country where our tough choices are which exciting hobby do we pursue on any given day, hunt or fish. I often thought it would be much simpler if the fishing and hunting seasons did not overlap. And the species you were fishing or hunting for did not overlap either. Then you could give total focus on that, whether it be turkey, spring walleye, deer, or duck hunting. Then, throw in golf, grandkids, wife, etc. How did I ever have time to work.
Getting back to the rabbits, I would like to devote February to the bunnies if only they were here. Where I hunt turkey in Kansas there is no closed season and ten a day limit. If I get my turkeys in short fashion this year, maybe I will whack some rabbits.