Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Common new boat problems - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Minnow

Thanks everyone!

Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default workerbee

Congrats on the new boat. Enjoy your first season with it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Wallhanger

I think there's one MAJOR item that everyones missed. The single largest problem that is likely to occure with a new boat is not having enought as much time to use it as you'd like to, ha ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Have them check all fluids and demonstrate to you how that's done, same with grease fittings, take a notebook and write down the location of all grease fittings. Make sure you understand when to add grease to your hubs, many people put too much grease in their hubs. Screws have a tendency to come loose regardless of manufacturer. Plan to Loktite them. Make sure you are happy with the way the boat sits on the trailer, two boats ago I learned this the hard way and scarred my hull the 1st time I loaded. Great boat man- congratulations!!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

One very important thing to check, that many folks neglect is to check their trailer.

i.e. is the trailer that is under the boat, the right one.
Is the model trailer right, is the load rating right, and are the right tires on the trailer.

Many folks, especially when cash is tight, will substitute a less expensive and lighter load carrying capacity trailer under the boat. Then, 6 months or 2 years down the road, the client starts having issues with tires, bent axles etc.

Also, on the way home, do yourself a favor and take your rig over a scale and find the weight of the loaded trailer. It is nice to know what you are starting from in the real world, not just the published data on what it is supposed to be.

You can take the boat/trailer to a truck stop with a certified scale, a trash transfer station, or a freeway truck scale.

It is nice to have a certified weight on the new rig, so down the road as the rig ages, and or you add things, and or you go on a trip, you can see where and how much weight you are adding to the boat.

Over the years I have heard of many folks complaining of the rigs performance after a few years. They are really suprised, when they go and weigh their rig, that somehow, the rig has gained 2000 lbs in weight form the time that they purchased the boat.

Take care
REW
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

I had a disconnected livewell hose right from the factory. When you first launch boat, check bilge area for water or turn on bilge to see if you are taking in water. Glad I didn't cruise way out on Lake Erie on my maiden voyage. My sea trial was on a small lake and I still got one heck of a scare!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default In addition to all of the above good tips...

...I always look at the motor mounting bolts and clamp brackets on the outside of the transom. If I don't see some sign of sealant visible on each bolt squishing out a bit between the clamps and transom I make them re-seal all the bolts. I don't want any chance of a rotted transom in later years from not sealing the motor mounting holes. I also run the steering wheel from lock to lock looking for any play or binding. Lastly, if any of your storage compartments have locks- make sure the key they give you actually is the right one for the lock.
Doug
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGPopp View Post
I worked for a Lund dealer many, many years ago for a short time. I would check everything listed here and more.

Now many boats come from the factory with the main motor mounted but run through this list and think about how long it should take.
I certainly remember the days when the boat, the engine, the trailer, and accessories all came from different places.
I kind of liked it because it gave the really proficient dealer a very large edge. Rigging ability sold a lot of boats for our shop. Getting 50-60 sold Lunds ready in this busy time of year was always exciting...to say the least.

Today.. in the majority of cases, the Lund will come with everything, or at least most things on it, including kickers, troll motors, and electronics.
The rush issue is why Lund began doing it that way.
The biggest thing now is the dealership must check all functions. The good dealer will.

-Your check list is good.

I would add:
Get the dealer to commit to an on water demo at the earliest convenience.
We were lucky enough to have open water (below a dam) and could do this all year...but, most can't.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Slot Fish

If you are new to being the captain of the boat, here is something you need know. The most dangerous place to ever put your boat and tow vehicle is called "Boat Ramp". This is where you can make the most expensive mistakes in short order. Do not take your new pride and joy to the ramp on a busy spring morning for her maiden voyage. And do not take even one fishing pole with you first time!!!
You need to start out in a vacant parking lot and learn how to back the boat into a parking space between the lines. When you can do it without pulling up to straighten up more than once and do this 5 times in a row...you are now ready for your first visit to the ramp. Then take your most experienced boating buddy with you and back down the ramp. He will be most impressed.
Then learn by practice and asking advice:
How deep to back it in for launch and retreve. It will be different.
Do not unhook the bow strap until you have the motor in the water especially if it is a wheel bunk trailer. Carpet bunk trailers...not so bad but wheel bunk trailers are famous for allowning the boat to roll off the trailer and slam into the dry concrete ramp. This will ruin your day without a doubt.
Then go out and learn how to drive the boat off plane. Boats drive much like a car when on plane. But at idle or slightly above....they drive much different. Learn how to make your boat turn and slide up to a dock...gracefully. And remember that boats Have NO brakes.
Then learn how to put the boat back on the trailer without damaging either one or both.
And hook up the bow strap before pulling the boat out of the water...every time.
And if you need to....do it all over again before you ever fish from the boat.
I know you bought it for fishing but if you don't learn correct boating....someone else will do more fishing from your boat than you ever will. The next owner that is....
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default True true

Slow is your friend when docking a boat or getting on and off trailer. You cant do it slow enough! Get some fenders, Rope!