Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod-Reel Combos - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Anderson11

Default Rod-Reel Combos

Anybody have any suggestions for good rod-reel combo's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
jeff woodruff

Default RE: Rod-Reel Combos

Call Reeds in Walker mn. 218 547 1505, ask them about a Garcia 6500c3 with a Shimano Compre rod. You should be able to get a combo price for around 100 120 dollars. This makes a good combo. Get a 7 ft. MH rod and you can use it for anything.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Minnow

We have a number of combos available at Guide's Choice. Various choices are made with Shimano, Fig Rig, Okuma, and other rod/reel possibilities. Sort of depends on what you are looking for and what budget you have in mind. Contact me or the shop and we can help make a good selection in your price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

Call billy at Thorn Bros. :-)
He can make you the best ROD you have ever used! The reel is hands down Calcutta TE400. :-)

http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/index_muskie.html
Old 02-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi all, no one rod will get er done ha ha ha . Welcome to the rod and reel nightmare Lol. I only have 34 rods and reels still dont have them all. For casting you need at least three. You need one for small baits unless you are not going to be ever throwing any small baits. My Muskie ultralight is a St croix custom 8 foot telescoping flippin stick rated at 2 oz max. Reel is a Phluger trion low profile spooled with 30 lb power pro. It works great for small bucktails and little sisson cranks and minus ones. small bagleys and rattle traps. I use 40 lb steel leaders with this rod and 50 lb snaps and swivels. I can handle ANY Musky or pike with this rig. My main rod that I use 80% of the time is a custom 7'10" St croix Avid 1 to 3 oz. rated with a Abu 6500 c-3 spooled with 50 lb Power pro and 60 lb steel. 110 lb stainless snaps and 110 lb stainless swivels. I throw all of my mid sized baits up to 3 oz. It is perfect for throwing the TALONZ LITTLE CLAW which is my go to bait. I also throw Slidin shads,Jackpots, big bucktails, and any 6 to 7" crankbait or jerk. For the big stuff you need to get stiffer. My big lure rod is a 1 to 4oz custom Avid 7'8" reel is a 6500 c-4 spooled with 65 to 80 lb power pro with 90 lb steel 110 swivels and 110 stainless snaps. Ive never been broke off with any of these rigs. Remember this, heavy rods and heavy no stretch lines will tear loose small hooks and rods that are too light with lighter lines will not set the hooks on big baits. You will soon learn that you must match the rod and reel to the baits you are throwing. Kingfisher
Old 02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Trolling is another story all together ha ha ha . Kingfisher