Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
When and where are you going in Canada this summer? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Minnow

Default Red Lake

My son and I are going to Bow Narrows June 10 thru June 16. First trip to Canada, can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default Don't Do it

Toddskie, I highly recommend you do not do this. It only leads to trouble. First of all, it is hard on your home life. The wife will not be happy when there is never enough money to remodel the kitchen, but always enough to go to Canada. Then there is the "once a year is not enough" syndrome, which just doubles the misery.

Just going to Canada is such a long drive and the gas prices are so high! Then there is the "one case of beer per person rule" which generally means you have to buy beer in Canada at around $40 per case. The exchange rate sucks so you are not getting any discount for your once strong dollar.

When you get to your destination, you find that it is not the Taj Mahal. In fact you might even have to relieve yourself outdoors or in an outhouse. You spend all day in a boat and for what? A few fish? You can do this a lot closer to home. It almost always rains when I go to Canada and it is often colder than you expect, especially in the spring. Then if you wait until summer there are bugs!

At meal time you are either having to make a fire on shore or eating sandwiches with stale bread in the boat. You have to cook your own stuff and clean up after you eat. There is no TV or anything so you are stuck playing cards, drinking beer and smoking cigars. It stays light way into the night so you get so little sleep you are never rested.

Fish guts, cracked hands, having to reline your pole or replace hooks, lines in the prop, dropping stuff overboard, slipping off the rocks or dock into the water. I mean this is no vacation!

Therefore I think my "Canada Eh?" brothers and sisters will agree that you should think long and hard before taking your first trip to Canada. Any input WCers?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Keeper

My Wife and I will be fishing Lac Seul the end of June and again the middle of August.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default One more thing or two...

You will find yourself lusting to return to Canada, You will never enjoy the local "walleye fish fry" because you have tasted real fresh walleye! Your wife will never understand the "inside" jokes about the trip, she will feel left out. The bonding that will happed when you and your sun fish until dark, around 10PM, will also leave your wife wondering, what happened to my husband and son??
Just a few things to consider!!
Condiser yourself warned!!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Minnow

Default Don't do it

Hey Hehookshimself

Sounds like a typical trip to Wine Lake Camp

We will be there June 16th , It's so bad we been going almost 30years.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default Wlc

We're doing opening week. 8 guys in the Moose cabin. Nice cabin but still too cramped for 8. We will hate each other by Saturday, but we will be stuffed to the gills with fresh walleye and Lake Trout. We usually go in June and literally get tired of catching 20 inchers. We will try to leave a few for you! Which cabin are you in? Maybe I can leave a little message for you!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
Toddskie, I highly recommend you do not do this. It only leads to trouble. First of all, it is hard on your home life. The wife will not be happy when there is never enough money to remodel the kitchen, but always enough to go to Canada. Then there is the "once a year is not enough" syndrome, which just doubles the misery.

Just going to Canada is such a long drive and the gas prices are so high! Then there is the "one case of beer per person rule" which generally means you have to buy beer in Canada at around $40 per case. The exchange rate sucks so you are not getting any discount for your once strong dollar.

When you get to your destination, you find that it is not the Taj Mahal. In fact you might even have to relieve yourself outdoors or in an outhouse. You spend all day in a boat and for what? A few fish? You can do this a lot closer to home. It almost always rains when I go to Canada and it is often colder than you expect, especially in the spring. Then if you wait until summer there are bugs!

At meal time you are either having to make a fire on shore or eating sandwiches with stale bread in the boat. You have to cook your own stuff and clean up after you eat. There is no TV or anything so you are stuck playing cards, drinking beer and smoking cigars. It stays light way into the night so you get so little sleep you are never rested.

Fish guts, cracked hands, having to reline your pole or replace hooks, lines in the prop, dropping stuff overboard, slipping off the rocks or dock into the water. I mean this is no vacation!

Therefore I think my "Canada Eh?" brothers and sisters will agree that you should think long and hard before taking your first trip to Canada. Any input WCers?
Thanks for the heads up, I have given it ALOT more thought and being able to smoke cigars put me over the top I think I will take my chances!

Thanks
Todd
Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Remmeber, you are only smoking cigars to keep the bugs away from your son! An important fact if it comes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskie View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I have given it ALOT more thought and being able to smoke cigars put me over the top I think I will take my chances!

Thanks
Todd
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Fisherman's Cove Resort, Lac Suel Lake, Ontario... July 28th-August 4th....9th year of fantastic walleye fishing....going with life long best friends....can't wait.....ahhhhhh yes......highlight of my year!

RBF
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Wallhanger

July 1-8 on lac Hebert with Air Tamarac. Third trip to Canada but this is my first fly-in. (Thank you to Octanehi5 here on WC for opening up a few spots for me and my guys to jump on board.)