Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Entry into Canada update - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

It's a step in the right direction. Even if it ends up being a small step, at least it's something. It'll allow a lot of people to come up this year that couldn't before. Then, they can wait and see how this changes for 2013.

Some people have the wrong view of things on both sides. Canada doesn't need to beg American Citizens to come up. Also, American Citizens shouldn't have to beg to come in.

Call me crazy, but I believe a host should almost always be welcoming and a guest should almost always be polite and appreciative. Obviously, there's exceptions, but seems to me like most logical people understand this. Money isn't the only motivating factor out there, and having high morals doesn't put food on the table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Well, Robert if you fish lakes south of the border that has just as good fishing as Canada I would like to know which ones they are. The camp I go to in Canada appreciates our business but it isn't all about the money.

I think the government up there made a change to try and help the tourism business for the one time bad boys and girls that drank to much and got pinched. You now get a one time hall pass, so use it and enjoy it or not, it's your choice.
Just got back from Lake of the woods and was great fishing. I am an hour south of Mille Lacs wich has some great fishing and a lot shorter drive. Other places with good fishing are Rainy Lake,Winnie and Leech to name a few. Sure there are places in Canada the amature fisherman can catch 100+ fish a day with a jig and minnow and they are all about the same size. To me that is boreing after a day. I like to have to do a little searching for my fish where not just anyone can catch them one after another. The only reason I would like to cross the border is to fish some crappies of decent size which we dont have much of down here. When I used to go to Canada years ago a lot of the Canadians were less than friendly and sometimes even rude. Things have probably changed some and a lot of those resorts are owned by Americans now. I had one resort owner complain that I brought everything with me and didnt buy enough when I was there. I asked him if that was the same reason they are lined up at the border to go shop in the states. He didnt have much to say after that. That was when the exchange rate was much different.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Here's a line from the government bulletin .. "These instructions are to be considered an interim measure to facilitate the entry of these FNs until a more permanent measure is established. Additional instructions will be offered once a permanent measure comes into force or this public policy is revoked by the Minister." I think the key is the fact this is an "interim measure". There was mention by both the Minister of Immigration and our Member of Parliament (Greg Rickford) that they would be looking for feedback over the course of this season to see how this change was working. You can be sure that the feedback will include expanding this measure to include multiple crossings and / or removing some of the restrictions presently applied. So, for this summer, this seems to be the best we can hope for....it will help some folk, not all, but better than nothing and at least a move in the right direction. Let's hope for further change for next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default us amatuers thank you

Well, I'm happy there is a place us amatuers can go and catch fish with a jig and a minnow and have fun. Frankly, I don't mind catching a hundred 15 to 22 inch walleys a day with a shot at a 30 inch fish and not have to play bumper boats like a person does on some of those Mn lakes mentioned.

Thanks to the new rule we can bring along another guy that would have been barred. I think the Canadian governemnt did a good thing here.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Wallhanger

The better fisherman dont have to play bumper boats. They learn how to read their electronics and have the confidence to go out and find their own pod of fish and when they do they have them all to their self. If you choose to play bumper boats on these bigger lakes in MN you probably spent a lot more money than you should have on electronics. I always get a good laugh when a guy pulls up on my spot with a 60K boat with 2-3 big graphs on it and reaches over and marks the spot.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Slot Fish

Robert, Your the best dam fisherman in the entire world. (Amature in Canada getting 50 to 100 a day!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
The better fisherman dont have to play bumper boats. They learn how to read their electronics and have the confidence to go out and find their own pod of fish and when they do they have them all to their self. If you choose to play bumper boats on these bigger lakes in MN you probably spent a lot more money than you should have on electronics. I always get a good laugh when a guy pulls up on my spot with a 60K boat with 2-3 big graphs on it and reaches over and marks the spot.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Minnow

Just glad to hear it!! X-mas for all of the resort owners I'm sure!! I have one dui from 3 yrs ago.got a deferred judgment and and had it exponged. I was planning on heading to Canada this June and scared of being turned back. Sounds like I should be good to go now!
Has anyone tried this yet or know someone who has? kinda wonder how the boarder officials are responding to the new change.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricken View Post
Just glad to hear it!! X-mas for all of the resort owners I'm sure!! I have one dui from 3 yrs ago.got a deferred judgment and and had it exponged. I was planning on heading to Canada this June and scared of being turned back. Sounds like I should be good to go now!
Has anyone tried this yet or know someone who has? kinda wonder how the boarder officials are responding to the new change.

IF your record has been expunged (meaning erased like it never happened) bring a clear criminal record with you and that should be all they need. CBSA will still run you, but if comes back with nothing or you can show the record cleared you are all set. Contact a Canadian Consulate or the CBSA for further info
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

Very good advice, Jinx. We had a guy in our group a few years back that had an arrest (no conviction) on his record from 40 years prior that was supposed to have been expunged back then but wasn't. He had been in and out of Canada numerus times per year in between and nothing had ever been said. After some lengthy discussion he was allowed to enter but told not to try to re-enter without clearing it up. He had to hire an attorney and it took 6+ months to clear up. So make sure it off your record.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
rickenb

Thanks for the info.... I thought I would be able to get in with a exponged dui as well. But the question is it already imprinted in their system, or completely out of ours???? When I called the boarder number the lady told me it is totally up the the person at the gate. Also said that a expongement from the U.S is not honored in Canada. So any sign of the arrest or anything would be a strike against me. So even though I thought I would be able to cross, there was still a little nervousness. I'm glad to hear of the news as now I don't have to worry. This should be the start of a great thing for us one timers. (I know I learned a lesson). I have a hard time seeing it going backwards with what I would think to be a big boost in revenue.