Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Plans/directions on how to build a cradle net? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Minnow

Default Plans/directions on how to build a cradle net?

So in preparations for our annual voyage north of the border, my Dad and I are thinking of building a cradle net for pike (or hopefully a monster walleye or two). The place lodge we're headed to supplies regular nets but not cradles.

Has anybody had any success making one of these? If you could share some tips and/or supply ideas, that would be great. (Yes, I did a search but didn't see anything.)

If you're reading this and thinking, "these guys must be really anxious to get out on the water," you're right.

Thanks,

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Slot Fish

Default Homemade!

You could use either dowel rod or any handle, shovel, pushbroom etc for poles. Talk to any landscaper that builds retaining walls & ask them for geo-grid, for netting, it comes in 6' & 8' widths. This can be cut in any lenght. The geo grid looks like chicken wire but the material is similar to your rubber nets.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Steve, I have one that I bought for muskie fishing but never used it. I would sell it to you if your intrested in buying one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

My first one I made myself. I used two old hockey sticks that I cut the blades off of. I also put weights on the entry point to make sure the net itself stayed down when I went for the scoup. It worked well, but a high end scoop net is better and just as safe for the fish.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Slot Fish

Default Practice

If you do make or buy one be sure to practice using it on some smaller fish first. I lost a HUGE Pike on my buddy fumbling with the **** thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Wallhanger

Default You can buy one for $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ715 View Post
So in preparations for our annual voyage north of the border, my Dad and I are thinking of building a cradle net for pike (or hopefully a monster walleye or two). The place lodge we're headed to supplies regular nets but not cradles.

Has anybody had any success making one of these? If you could share some tips and/or supply ideas, that would be great. (Yes, I did a search but didn't see anything.)

If you're reading this and thinking, "these guys must be really anxious to get out on the water," you're right.

Thanks,

- Steve
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/cradle-...785000020.aspx
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default $30.00 plus shipping

Mine has wood handles so it will float. The cradle has has a "ruler" panited onto the cradle that measures from the middle 28 iches in both directions. Also has a case so when not in use it will be out of the way not being snagged by hooks or anything else.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

A friend has one, and it seems to work OK.

I've wondered, however, the possibilities of the "netter", while bent over directly in line with the fish, getting a face full of lure/fish mouth, as it appears the fish can quickly move forward much easier than backwards as it is being netted. Maybe kinda like squatting of front of a catapult.

Just my thoughts.

Bill Krejca
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
A friend has one, and it seems to work OK.

I've wondered, however, the possibilities of the "netter", while bent over directly in line with the fish, getting a face full of lure/fish mouth, as it appears the fish can quickly move forward much easier than backwards as it is being netted. Maybe kinda like squatting of front of a catapult.

Just my thoughts.

Bill Krejca
I use a cradle and have had a few close calls with hooks and teeth. I now also use a large musky net coupled with the cradle. Where these shine is in fish recovery IMO. I'll use mine after the catch, dehook and photos and then a short recovery in the cradle to release.