Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ruger M77 Mark II question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Keeper

Default Ruger M77 Mark II question

I have acquired a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless with synthetic stock. Probably a early 90s rifle. It is chambered in a 308 win. The rifle was owned by the first guy that I worked for back in high school, who passed away this year. I thought it would be cool to take this rifle out deer hunting this year. So I cleaned the gun, barrel and everything. I got some Hornady165gr American Whitetail ammo. I put 3 rounds in it to foul the barrel. Then go to sight it in. I get it pretty close but I can not get the bullets to group very well. Up and down stay within an inch. I will get one to hit 1.5 inches left then one 2 inches right and the next was 5 inches right. This is all at 100 yds. Scope is all tight. I am not sure what the barrel twist is on this rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions. I don't reload so hand loads are not an option. I also don't want to just end up with a bunch of ammo that doesn't shoot well. Thanks
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega

Last edited by goosechaser; 11-01-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Mk II in 270, I handload, and cant get that rifle to shoot any better than about 1.5 -2 at 100. I have rifle/load combos that shoot into 1/2 consistently, my wifes Tikka shoots MOA with anything I put in it. Most of my hunting happens within 100 yards so I don't worry about it much. I wouldn't get too bent over it not shooting into a bughole. The positive control extraction, box mag, and general ruggedness make up for the lack of accuracy IMO.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I have ruger 270 and I can stack shots on a quarter at 100 yards. Well that is with sand bags, a nice bench and no wind. Federal premium ammo.
I would try some different rounds, go to the range when there is very little wind and try it.

Not real familiar with the 308 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

I have 2 ruger 77's and they are both tack drivers. While an ammo change may help there are also a few other things to consider

How are you supporting the rifle while sighting in? Using something like a lead sled will eliminate flinching, or pulling the rifle while firing. With your outliers all drifting right it could be your trigger pull.

Also make sure that the barrel is not resting on anything while shooting. All support should be applied to the stock and for end. Not directly on the barrel

You could also do a through cleaning with a copper solvent to ensure the barrel is super clean.

Good luck. I know rugers are not renowned for great accuracy, but mine have been great and yours should certainly perform better for you than it has so far.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Mine is a tack driver at 50. (30-06)Tougher for me at 100 because my scope tops out at 7 power so I cant draw as fine a bead out long. I've always sighted in at 50 since I always hunted thick woods. Its a hair low at 25 and a tad high at 100. I can aim center mass from 0-0200 and make the kill.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Keeper

I am shooting from a bench with a rest. I have picked up some different ammo that I will try next. There is just a very small amount of trigger creep but not enough to worry about for a hunting rifle. With it only varying left to right I am thinking it maybe the cross hair in the scope moving. I will also look at the bedding in the stock and see if it is touching the barrel anywhere.
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

I suspect you need to try different ammo including different weights. A lot of guns are picky about what they'll shoot accurately. Give Sierra Gamekings a try it's one of the most accurate factory loads made. If you can group under 1.5" you're good to go for most hunting situations. Think about it a tack driving rifle off the bench where's it held tight is different than real hunting situations.