Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Agents in the area? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Agents in the area?

How many agents are out in the field and in each state?
When I have a claim, who's the adjuster?
Who goes to bat for me when there is a discrepency?
Will you supply shirts for the kid's little league team?
Any of your agents coaching or refereeing in my neighborhood?
How many $$ have you donated to the local towns charities?

The above are some of the reasons .com insurance rates are lower than your small, local, homegrown agents.
I would rather keep my money close to home and support the local agents, especially with the economy the way it is.
I prefer to meet, discuss, and shake the hand of the person that supplies me with insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks

I thank-you in advance for your response Mr Luellen.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I am with you on this one, I also prefer to look a person in the face when dealing with anyone and shake hands. It is much more personal then just a voice on the phone or a website
I renw my auto registration in person so the money stays in my county, if I paid online the monay goes straight to the state

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Tom Walker

I hear what Modog and Rebs are saying and I struggled with that too.

That is why I gave my insurance company an opportunity to match the deal but they either couldn't or wouldn't.

I don't care how much I like the person selling me insurance, if it's inadequate, then it's not good for me and I'm looking out for me.

My local insurance agent still carries my trucks and cars, but he couldn't offer me proper coverage on my boat.

If I somehow total my boat and my local insurance company cannot replace it then I'm going to have a problem looking that guy in the eye and shaking his hand from that point on.

In that case it was better for both of us for me to get proper coverage.

Like I said, my local guy still covers my trucks and cars and my home.

Right now he's making absolute sure that I have proper coverage on everything he's in charge of.

Now he is working hard for my business and I would bet that there will be changes in my policies because of this.

It worked out in favor of both of us, we actually have a better working relationship because of it.

Tom Walker
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Default Agents

Modog,
Thanks for your e-mail. I think it's great that your local insurance agent has earned your trust, and I respect your loyalty to him. I'm sure he appreciates it too. To answer your questions:
1. I do not need other agents in different states. We conduct business via the phone or internet. I have spent a lot of money getting licensed in all the other states. I am licensed as an individual and Worldwide Marine is licensed as a corporation.
2. Claims and adjusters - We represent a lot of companies and they all handle claims in their own way. If there is ever an issue with an adjuster or surveyor, I will go to bat for my client. I pride myself in my customer service.
3. Shirts for little league - It would be very difficult for me to do that in all the cities in the country.
4. The charity that I have chosen is the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan. I founded a charity event in Michigan that has raised close to $250,000 for them. Also, we have taken over 200 of these children for boat rides.
I am a marine specialty agent and I have markets that most agents do not have. Again, I am here to help the members make sure they have the proper coverages for their needs. Thank you. Bob Luellen.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

Default Hmmm

Tom Walker,

When you have questions with a claim, and you can't get answers, then what?
I can go down the block and rattle someones cage, can you?
I'm just saying, 'buyer beware' on dotcom insurance packages.

Last edited by Modog; 11-20-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: timing
Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Modog,

I just took a kicking from the insurance company down the street on a totaled 2003 GMC Sierra. Doesn't matter if your agent is your brother, you are going to get bent over.

Dot coms will work off the same "tables" as your local guy. Won't matter what you or your agent thinks unless you have 100% replacement. They will "tell you" what you are getting and you will like it.

I'm not condemning all insurance people. In fact it's good having this forum here to ask questions.

If you want to have an interesting conversation call your agent and ask what the check will be if your truck is totaled.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default Value

Go to a car lot and see what they will give you for an '03 in trade. Replacement cost is based on 'fair market value'. That is something your agent should have discussed with you prior to the claim, not after.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah, get on-line to AIG. They know how to take care of you.

Advice: Don't be up-side-down on a car loan unless you buy gap insurance. Banks sell it. We all know that banks are doing a bang up job and making our economy strong. Ha.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Joe Rossell

Smile You have it all wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy View Post
Modog,

I just took a kicking from the insurance company down the street on a totaled 2003 GMC Sierra. Doesn't matter if your agent is your brother, you are going to get bent over.

Dot coms will work off the same "tables" as your local guy. Won't matter what you or your agent thinks unless you have 100% replacement. They will "tell you" what you are getting and you will like it.

I'm not condemning all insurance people. In fact it's good having this forum here to ask questions.

If you want to have an interesting conversation call your agent and ask what the check will be if your truck is totaled.
Your agent does play a major role on what your settlement is!! Your dot coms are crap. Every time you call you get a different person. On the other hand there is a thing called a MGA they are an Independent agency that is in multiple states that acts just like an insurance company and they handle everything. You probably would talk to the same people then. When you buy boat insurance you have to make sure you get replacement cost the same as your home or auto. if you dont it's on you not your insurance company.

Last edited by Golden; 01-06-2009 at 11:11 AM.