Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Adding Dome Radar to Lund Boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Keeper

Default Adding Dome Radar to Lund Boat

Hey all. I fish in NW Ontario all summer long. All lake fishing in 18-20 foot Lunds. I have all the latest Humminbird electronics and toys and upgrade all the time as its a write-off (I am a lodge owner) and my wife never sees how much it costs! Anyway, I digress.....

So, my interest was stirred when HB announced their latest dome radar units a few weeks ago. These little bad boys have been touted as very light and SAFE. Unlike previous hi-powered radar domes (that you see on ocean boats) that are not great for human consumption. You really don't want that radar blasting your scalp as you fish all day. No more hair and some messed up kids.

But these little guys are touted as 'safe', whatever that means. So I asked my HB Canada representative about possibly installing a unit on a small lake boat. I don't have a tower like a flats boat in the keys, just a small 19 foot Lund. So I would need to add a mounting pole. However he said that since this thing is safe that perhaps I don't even need to mount it and could perhaps just stick it on the hull somehow.

So, here is my question for you pros: have you ever installed a RADAR DOME unit to your lake boat? If so did you mount it on pole somehow so it was above head height and safe? What do you think about taking this new HB unit and mounting it on the helm somewhere? Would it even work. Should it be mounted. I know this is not normal as the HB rep doesn't even sell mounting poles and had never heard of someone installing radar on a small boat while lake fishing. But you guys here are way above normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Fisherman Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Go to the Humminbird web page and download the installation instructions. I am impressed with their warning:

DANGER: MICROWAVE RADIATION HAZARD! The microwave energy radiated by a radar antenna is harmful to humans, especially to one’s eyes. Never look directly into an open waveguide or into the path of radiation from an enclosed antenna. Radar and other radio frequency radiation can upset cardiac pacemakers. If someone with a cardiac pacemaker suspects abnormal operation, immediately turn off the equipment and move the person away from the antenna. Turn off the radar whenever it is necessary to work on the antenna unit or on other equipment in the beam of the radar.

These units have to be mounted above your head in an unobstructed location. According to their spec, the vertical beam width is 25 degrees so you should be high enough for people at the bow and stern to stand and be below the beam. Install a radar arch.

I am amazed at the low cost of these units!
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

There is a guide on the Mississippi that installed one on his Lund. He fishes at night and he swears by it. If you are interested send me a PM and i'll hook you up with contact info.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Wallhanger

Mount it on the bow like mr klawitter did and all should be well. He claims he can see floating logs with his. He still had some hair left on his head last I saw.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Ted View Post
Hey all. I fish in NW Ontario all summer long. All lake fishing in 18-20 foot Lunds. I have all the latest Humminbird electronics and toys and upgrade all the time as its a write-off (I am a lodge owner) and my wife never sees how much it costs! Anyway, I digress.....

So, my interest was stirred when HB announced their latest dome radar units a few weeks ago. These little bad boys have been touted as very light and SAFE. Unlike previous hi-powered radar domes (that you see on ocean boats) that are not great for human consumption. You really don't want that radar blasting your scalp as you fish all day. No more hair and some messed up kids.

But these little guys are touted as 'safe', whatever that means. So I asked my HB Canada representative about possibly installing a unit on a small lake boat. I don't have a tower like a flats boat in the keys, just a small 19 foot Lund. So I would need to add a mounting pole. However he said that since this thing is safe that perhaps I don't even need to mount it and could perhaps just stick it on the hull somehow.

So, here is my question for you pros: have you ever installed a RADAR DOME unit to your lake boat? If so did you mount it on pole somehow so it was above head height and safe? What do you think about taking this new HB unit and mounting it on the helm somewhere? Would it even work. Should it be mounted. I know this is not normal as the HB rep doesn't even sell mounting poles and had never heard of someone installing radar on a small boat while lake fishing. But you guys here are way above normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Fisherman Ted

Why do you want to cobleinski -up your fine Lund boat? Forget about it as it will NOT look nice and you will have a possible clearance problem when trailering not to mention how your boat cover will fit and putting it in a garage with too low of a door. I wouldn't do that to my boat with your money! A radome is Not meant for open walleye type boats without a hard top and Indoor cabin cruiser configurations.

Last edited by Crackback; 01-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Keeper

Because we have tons of weather systems that come in. I want to precisely track storm cells as they approach to keep me and my clients safe.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Keeper

I think what you want is a "radar arch." I would assume you could have one custom fabricated to fit behind your high top.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedog View Post
I think what you want is a "radar arch." I would assume you could have one custom fabricated to fit behind your high top.
c
Do they even show weather? I thought that they were for navigation, boats, structure, etc. I didn't think they were even "tuned" for moisture, rain, etc. I'd also think you would need a lot of elevation. Possibly of some weather use on Great Lakes or off shore.

edit

IS it this ?
http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...e/CHIRP-RADAR/

Looks like it could show weather, but with 18' height above water line on;y 24 NM. At 3-4 foot what would you get 6-10 miles... or less. Then if you have hills.

Idea sounds good, but doubt if you see much weather.

Last edited by Paul H; 01-11-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
c
Do they even show weather? I thought that they were for navigation, boats, structure, etc. I didn't think they were even "tuned" for moisture, rain, etc. I'd also think you would need a lot of elevation. Possibly of some weather use on Great Lakes or off shore.
no ... by weather I assume the op means fog (low visibility navigation), otherwise I'm not sure what he is referring to. On a large lake VHF provides ample warning so long as there are stations. A step beyond that would be something like XM satelite weather.

Lot's of toys for a walleye boat IMO ...

Furthermore, if my understanding is correct the radar needs to be mounted high to avoid obstructions within the boat. There is also the radiation issue.

Last edited by lakedog; 01-11-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedog View Post
no ... by weather I assume the op means fog (low visibility navigation), otherwise I'm not sure what he is referring to. On a large lake VHF provides ample warning so long as there are stations. A step beyond that would be something like XM satelite weather.

Lot's of toys for a walleye boat IMO ...

Furthermore, if my understanding is correct the radar needs to be mounted high to avoid obstructions within the boat. There is also the radiation issue.
Yes, I want to see actual cells, positioning and real time views in terms of direction etc. If this type of HB chirp radar does not work what do you recommend?

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...e/CHIRP-RADAR/