Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Black Powder gun? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 AM
Slot Fish

Default Best Black Powder gun?

What would be the Best Black Powder gun for Minnesota deer hunting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Thompson center encore and love it. Super accurate. Little muzzle heavy due to the synthetic stock and big barrel though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Thompson Center (TC) Omega that I wouldn't be afraid to hunt anywhere with.
Very accurate and have been happy with the purchase.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

I have a tc encore but use my cva accura v2 with the bergara barrel and easy removable breach plug. the bergara barrel is very accurate and will stand up to a magnum load. I use 3 50 grn pellets or triple 7 powder in my gun and its very accurate. the breach plug removes by hand, no tools required. even after a day at the range my breach plug came right out. makes it a breeze to clean.

Last edited by last chance; 09-26-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
I have a tc encore but use my cva accura v2 with the bergara barrel and easy removable breach plug. the bergara barrel is very accurate and will stand up to a magnum load. I use 3 50 grn pellets or triple 7 powder in my gun and its very accurate. the breach plug removes by hand, no tools required. even after a day at the range my breach plug came right out. makes it a breeze to clean.
I use the same load. 150g. Hornaday bullets. Interesting I bought the Tc because of the comments regarding barrels made overseas on other brands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Bemidjiguest

Depending on your budget even a wolf or optima will be good shooters. Finding the bullet, sabot(if you use sabotted rounds) powder combo is the key
Old 11-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

I was going to buy a Thompson Center but it didn't feel right when I shouldered it.

I liked the Accura V2 and bought one. I run Buckhorn 209 through it at 90g with 265 Aerotips through it and I am more accurate with that then my rifle at 200 yards.

I would buy another one that's for sure.
NPAA #803
Old 11-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Slot Fish

Currently shoot TC encore prohunter, great rifle, very accurate to 200 yards. I really like the Buckhorn 209. I use 110 grains. The nice thing about Buckhorn is you can use your normal firearm cleaning products. Put as many as 25 rounds through without cleaning.

Prior to the encore, I had a TC Omega, also very solid.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I've been hunting with a Thompson Center Encore Muzzle loader for many years, and I do like it a lot. Mine is blued on wood, and at times I've thought about selling and purchasing the TC Encore Pro Hunter. Synthetic on stainless, plus the new breech plug that is removable without tools would be benefits. At the same time, I like what I have.

Remington has a new muzzle loader that fires rifle primers in a brass enclosure and up to 200 grains of powder, claiming range to 300 yards. It's an interesting rifle. If I end up with a scope on the muzzle loader, I would be thinking about this gun if it truly has 300 yard range. With iron sights 200 yards on deer sized animals is @ my limit. Iron sights cover half the deer at that range.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/muzzleloading

Best muzzle loader of all time imo is the Savage 10ML. It's discontinued and the used ones are VERY expensive. The Remington above might be better. The Remington just does not have any history yet.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

I have a encore and a omega and the cva accura v2. I hunted with the encore for a few yrs and its really a nice rifle. but my oldest brother bought me the accura v2 with the thumb hole stock. and I like it the best of the 3. if I only had one rifle it would be the accura v2.