Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
vexilar fl-8 slt - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2000, 05:30 PM
Minnow

Default vexilar fl-8 slt

i just bought one of these vexilar depth finers and i was wondering how you guys like them for perch fishing?

also, what "GAIN" level do you have for about 12 feet of water and structureless bottom? and how much of a difference does it make?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2000, 08:22 PM
joe

Default RE: vexilar fl-8 slt

vexilars work great, set gain at 1
Old 12-13-2000, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I have the older unit, not the slt, and wouldn't trade it for any other. As far as the gain in 12feet of water, just adjust it until you can see your jug and that is where it should be. I think all units are a little different on the gain, so it is really impossible to give you a number on the gain. The more you use it, the easier it is to set the gain, in any situation. The unit is a kick to use, the different colors will be the cool thing to learn. I have had a vista cam down with mine and know about how far the fish are away from the lure when the colors change, but that also changes with the depth. Play with it and you will learn it, no problems.

Good Fishin'
TBO/MN

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2000, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Adjusting the gain on a Vexilar is dependent on what you're seeing while you fish. If the battery power is low, the gain needs to be raised till you get separation from the bottom. Raise the jig up till you can see it about 2 ft above the bottom. Then, adjust the gain till you can distinguish the jig from bottom. I've used my Vexilar for six years now and won't fish without it. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2000, 12:41 PM
markb(loser)

i adjust like other guys said...so i can see my
jig/lure/bait...with perch i notice that many times
they are on bottom...instead of seeing fish seperate
from bottom...it appears that bottom starts to flash
and flutter...once you've seen it will be able to
recognize...if you lift jig often then see fish rise
of bottom...