Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
suggest a line rating for walleye, smallie fishing...??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Minnow

Default suggest a line rating for walleye, smallie fishing...???

I am new to fishing in the area and plan to target walleye, smallies and northerns. What strength line should I put on my reels? What about lighter rods for panfish? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Keeper

If you plan on using the same rod and reel for smallie, walleye, and northern. I would say 10lb would do everything you needed. Unless of course you hook into a 20lber, but even then you will more than likely be ok. If you will have multiple poles, I like 6lb for walleye and smallie fishing. I've never had a break off with either fish due to line weight. As for a northern pole I would personally run a 20-30lb braid. This is what I personally use, and I'm sure everyone will be different. But it should be real close to what everyone else is using. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

I would go with a 7' fast medium,1/4-5/8 oz, spinning rod and reel with 8# mono or 10-15# braid for walleye, northerns and smallies.
For pan fish a 7' fast ultra light spinning rod and reel with 4# mono.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Wallhanger

I would use 10-15 pound braid, and learn to tie a uni-uni knot which would attach a seamless leader of fluorocarbon to the braid. If fishing smallmouth or walleye, use an 8 pound fluorocarbon leader. Tie on 4 or 6 pound fluorocarbon for panfish. If fishing for northern, you can buy either heavy-duty fluorocarbon or wire leaders specifically for northern/muskie and tie to the eye on the leader.

This arrangement gives you flexibility to use one set up to fish different species/sizes of fish.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Most of the time for many walleye areas, 4 or 6 lb mono works just fine.

If you have lines breaking then you can go to 8 or 10.

I generally never go about 8 lb when fishing walleye, but will go to 10 or 12 if fishing only northern.

Be safe
Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Rich Ziert

Default Water Clarity

If crystal clear water go with 6-8 pound mono or because it's thinner than mono 10-12 pound flourocarbon line. The more stained the water, the less light while fishing, the more cover you fish, the greater strength and thicker for the line (because the fish can't see as well under those conditions. In any case, I wouldn't go over 15 pound test flouro. Mkae sure you set your drag at 2/3rds the line weight. I.E. 15 pound line, set the drag at 10 pounds. For Northern Pike, and you know it's a Northern that just bit ( that knowledge will come witrh experience), after the bite give slack line, move the boat in the direction of the fish, the set the hook twice when you thing you are over the top of the fish. Northerns have sharp teeth on all surfaces, walleyes have only pointy sharp teeth. Doing this will eliminte the majority of bite offs.