Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Back Trolling - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Minnow

Default Back Trolling

Here is my setup: 97 Alumacraft 175 Tournament Pro CS with 98 Mercury 115 ELPTO and Minn Kota Maxxum 74 bow mount.

After much deliberation I decided Im not gonna drop the cash on a kicker motor. Dont really feel like drilling holes for trolling plate. Tried dragging socks and buckets and all that good stuff and still have problems getting it slow enough to pull harnesses. Running the bow mount is prolly out of the question because as soon as you take your foot off the pedal the motor spins to backward position (when in continuous mode). Not a big deal if Im fishing with others as they can watch boards and I can run trolling motor. But when I fish during the week, Im usually running solo.

My question is, how much of a pain in the arse is to pull boards, whether it be harnesses or cranks, while back trolling??? Any tips or ideas how I can make this easier on myself when fishing alone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Keeper

not a big deal.. couple things you want to keep in mind... buy some splash guards or you are going to get pretty wet, wave wacker or whitecap are both good.. pretty sure whitecap are cheaper... also you will want to turn the head of your transom trolling motor 180 degrees so you have different speeds to use, unless you are using your bow mount
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Keeper

I didn't know that bowmount electric motors changed direction when you lift your foot off the control when in continuous mode. Seems to me that they stay in the direction they were set on.

Anyway, I haven't used a bowmount yet but I'm repairing one that I got for free. 2 of the 4 magnets in the motor housing came unglued so the motor would not work. I'll have mine up and running in a few days. I'm re-gluing the magnets and changing brushes, brush springs, bushings and o rings. I won't be using it before mid-May when the ice is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Keeper

get yourself a MinnKota Vantage, turn the head 180 degrees and giv'r

1725 Pro Guide
75 Merc 4s big tiller
Vantage 80
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Dab,
I suspect that this poster has a cable drive bow mount.
With a cable drive bow mount, the motor will flip every time as soon as you take your foot off of the pedal.

Good luck
REW
Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
unlogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Dab,
I suspect that this poster has a cable drive bow mount.
With a cable drive bow mount, the motor will flip every time as soon as you take your foot off of the pedal.

Good luck
REW
Mine doesn't ever flip, you can adjust the tension on a maxxum. That being said i'd rather troll with electric steering. An upgraded trolling motor is much cheaper than a kicker and I think the best option for slow trolling. You can backtroll but you'll get real sick of that real quick.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlogged View Post
Mine doesn't ever flip, you can adjust the tension on a maxxum. That being said i'd rather troll with electric steering. An upgraded trolling motor is much cheaper than a kicker and I think the best option for slow trolling. You can backtroll but you'll get real sick of that real quick.

This is what i used on my cable steer bow-mount before i upgraded to an electric one... its def more difficult using a cable steer but it can be done.

http://trollperfect.com/default.aspx
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

I know you said you don`t want to put out the cash for a kicker. You don`t have to have a true Kicker T9 or Pro Kicker get an older two stroke 5 horse or an older four stroke.. The two strokes can be had for $200 on up just have to run a small gas can for mixed gas many guys still run these. the fours you can find for $800. You won`t regret getting a kicker for trolling ever.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Keeper

I would agree, if you dont have the money for a kicker at least get a Minn Kota Power drive or Terrova. I guess it depends on the conditions also. I fish a resevoir and my Power drive with Autopilot works great. I dont recall my Maxxum moving after I let up on the pedal. Maybe it just needs adjustment. I tried trolling with my Maxxum and it just dosen't work very well. Just because you need to stop and hold due to hang ups or to mark a spot. You will be very happy with the spot lock and the GPS tracking.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Minnow

Kinda leaning towards a kicker now and was wondering long shaft or short shaft??