Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
champion 186 Fish hunter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Minnow

Default champion 186 Fish hunter

Does any one have any info on the above listed boat? I am looking at a 2006. please give me the good and the bad. You can PM too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Minnow

Not positive, but I think it had the same hull as the Stratos 385, 386.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Keeper

I had this boat for 2 years. Complete lumber wagon for ride on plane. Off plane it would take big water without it coming over the bow. I loved the lay out and cockpit. By far my favorite. Fit and finish were fine and I had zero issues with the boat. The ride in the chop was a deal breaker. I sold the boat here. For inland lakes it would be great. I'm on Lake St. Clair and just couldn't run all that well in the chop with this boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Keeper

I run a 190 Fishhunter (1998). It is NOT the Stratos hull. The Fishhunter all had the same hull, just changed the topcap between my year and 06 (I think 01) allowing a full windshield in the newer ones and a few other small interior changes.

The boat is FAST. 67.7 GPS speed with a hydraulic jackplate, 225 EFI, reworked 24p Trophy Plus, with a 12 inch chop, and the bow gas tank 1/2-1/4 full. It will run 58-59.5 all day long loaded to the nuts with 2 big guys. The boat tracks phenominally well. It also handles straight into the worst waves like a demon; it cuts like no other and if it gets bumpy I have found actually bumping UP your speed improves the ride (to a certain point). The livewells are great, storage is more than adequate and truly dry. The boat is solid and the gelcoat is very forgiving.

The bad....... Side waves or quartering waves will beat the **** out of you. It is also a very wet boat. No matter how I drive it; fast slow, trimmed up or down sometimes you just need Guidewear.

Overall I like the boat. It is a great boat for 2 guys, adequate for 3, and doable with 4. I love the huge front deck for my style of fishing (Devils Lake casting and running bobbers). The rear isnt the best for pulling cranks, but I can still run a spread and have other guys run the rods as I control the boat (with remote throttle and Trollmaster). I wouldnt go with a tiller because of lack of rear space in this boat. 101 lb bowmount isnt a must, but highly recommended; and backtrolling isnt possible unless flat calm and livewells are empty.

Any other ?? just ask.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1029384756a View Post
Not positive, but I think it had the same hull as the Stratos 385, 386.
Agree on the same as stratos hull on these newer boats. Completely different than the older fishunters. This was also known as the Champion 186 Coastal. Both the fishunter and Coastal had/have self bailing cockpits with scupper drainage through the transom. Kind of cool. The older fishunters were much different, in a better way.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Keeper

This is the 2007 Fishunter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0454.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	10890   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0450.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	10891  
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Keeper

Default Pic

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0451.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	10892  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Wallhanger

I also have a 1998 Fishunter. I only have a 2.5 L 200 EFI. I too have noticed a dryer, smoother ride in the chop when I bump the speed up. Haven't had any issues with getting wet, but I'm sure I don't fish in the same conditions as luyeyes. I also agree that fishing in the back of the boat is not easy. I keep trying to find ways to make it easier, but the space between the wells is tight. That being said, it's a great ride in rough water and I still get the occasional, "New boat this year?" from a guy at the launch because it's held up pretty good over the years. The one's like mine and luveyes stopped being built in '04, I believe. I sort of know the guy who has possibly the last one built. Those newer one's are nothing like the old one's... Champions are great boats and I love mine, but I'd never by the newer style Fishunter.

Luveyes, have you tried a Tempest Plus (23P) by any chance? I was thinking of giving one a try. I'm told that prop (customized) can give a lot of lift and push our boats awfully fast. I would use it as a spare. I'm going to sell my trophy.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard a lot about the older 190 and 194 fish hunters, and most of it is very good. Champion has had a good reputation. I am looking at a 2006 186 fish hunter with a 150 yamie for under 17k and thought that was a good deal as long as it is in good shape. I like the lay out of the boat, but I am unsure of the hull. Do you guys think this is a good deal?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

If you like it and it rides good, I think that sounds like a decent deal. 150 might be a little under powered but if you run lighter, you'll be okay (I think that boat is rated for a 200).

Also, I heard about those hulls listing to one side a little bit when on plane. Not positive it's that hull, though. If you haven't already, go to the Champion section under forums at bassboatcentral.com. Tons of awesome Champion information and unbelievable people on that board. If you want info. on Champs...that's where to go. good luck!!