Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
North Branch Susquehanna River - Page 44 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auctioneer View Post
Niceeee fish!! I keep telling myself that I want a 30 incher for the wall but it would be really hard for me to throw a 29 inch fish back into the river. My brother has a 29 1/2 inch Eye on the wall but that was a Wyoming fish. I still feel compelled to beat him with a 30 incher though. Nothing like sibling rivalry.
River is getting a little dirty as of today (Bloomsburg) and rising as you mentioned. I'm thinking if it holds some depth and clears before it falls too much, the pools I've been doing well in, will hold more fish. Those pesky males were short striking last night. A little more water might bring the females in closer to shore.

I will tell you a secret,but do not tell anyone ok!!!!!!!!! Most and more often the biggest walleye in this area are caught out of the Chemung river....Sorta like more per capita.........But gotta admit the biggest one I ever seen come outta the susky was caught by whats his name again,dont remember but he sometimes posts here and it was huge and caught on the NY side (something like 16-18 pounds)!!!!!!!

Last edited by JETSTER; 01-27-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Thats right SLUGGO was his NAMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Slot Fish

Default 01/27/2012

Went out this afternoon with Tim and braved the **** wind. A bunch of little fellas, not much to get excited about. we'll see if the rising river can turn the big boy bite on again. see ya on the water!

~EA
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETSTER View Post
I will tell you a secret,but do not tell anyone ok!!!!!!!!! Most and more often the biggest walleye in this area are caught out of the Chemung river....Sorta like more per capita.........But gotta admit the biggest one I ever seen come outta the susky was caught by whats his name again,dont remember but he sometimes posts here and it was huge and caught on the NY side (something like 16-18 pounds)!!!!!!!
Boy howdy! That's a pig! There are some monsters out there and I'm a firm believer in the night bite. When I was a wee one, we used to target giant farm pond Large Mouth, at night with jitter bugs. Man we caught some nice fish. They were the same fish we would chase in the daylight but they would never bite until dark. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not catching numbers but the fish I am catching are big. Two fish at 25 and 26 1/2 inches this month and about a dozen more over 20 inches. I will give up a dozen "pencil sized" Walleye for one over 20 inches any day. Besides, with the consumption advisory, it's not like I can eat what I'm catching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Angler View Post
Went out this afternoon with Tim and braved the **** wind. A bunch of little fellas, not much to get excited about. we'll see if the rising river can turn the big boy bite on again. see ya on the water!

~EA
Man I was up and down the river all day moving stuff to my auction house. I wanted to fish BAD but I had work to do. I was eying a big eddy that I like to fish. It looks sooo inviting with the increased flow. I won't break free again until Monday night Glad to see you had time to get out though.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Boy howdy! That's a pig! There are some monsters out there and I'm a firm believer in the night bite. When I was a wee one, we used to target giant farm pond Large Mouth, at night with jitter bugs. Man we caught some nice fish. They were the same fish we would chase in the daylight but they would never bite until dark. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not catching numbers but the fish I am catching are big. Two fish at 25 and 26 1/2 inches this month and about a dozen more over 20 inches. I will give up a dozen "pencil sized" Walleye for one over 20 inches any day. Besides, with the consumption advisory, it's not like I can eat what I'm catching.

That is exactly what I stated earlier in this thread,sorta on an opinion if people should keep there big ones or let them go!!!!!!! I stated there is no way you could hurt the population (by keeping them) because the monsters only bite at night,and there-for never/or very seldom get caught........Only night fisherman here are cat-fisherman!!!!!Thats why some buck are almost unkillable,totally nocturnal........................And like deer/walleye IMO feel the pressure of fisherman and adapt/learn with age!!!!!!Or maybe im giving them to much respect on intelligence,all I know is that big ones are there and I do not catch them during the day often and usually ever...................
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETSTER View Post
That is exactly what I stated earlier in this thread,sorta on an opinion if people should keep there big ones or let them go!!!!!!! I stated there is no way you could hurt the population (by keeping them) because the monsters only bite at night,and there-for never/or very seldom get caught........Only night fisherman here are cat-fisherman!!!!!Thats why some buck are almost unkillable,totally nocturnal........................And like deer/walleye IMO feel the pressure of fisherman and adapt/learn with age!!!!!!Or maybe im giving them to much respect on intelligence,all I know is that big ones are there and I do not catch them during the day often and usually ever...................
Well said. It's a pain, fishing at night but the thrill of not seeing whats happening is...well thrilling. I use NO light except when I'm landing a fish or retying. Those boys up in Erie will dam near shoot you if you pull into a fishing area and shine your headlights across the water. The big (20 plus inches) are spooky and have grown past 20 inches for a reason, they are wise to the patterns of being fished for. The juvenile fish will absolutely wreck my bait when they strike but the subtle short strikes are almost always a big fish just testing the bait. All the big Eyes I've caught this year have hit with just a subtle "thump" and even at first felt like small fish until they realized what was up.
I'm sure you Cat fishermen have some great Walleye stories.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Keeper

Mud and high water have put a hold on Walleye huntin for the foreseeable future Time for some much needed maintenance on my gear.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Mud and high water have put a hold on Walleye huntin for the foreseeable future Time for some much needed maintenance on my gear.
Yep.. The river here went from 6 feet to 14 feet and also turned to mud. At least that stupid ice is all gone! It'll drop back down quickly, so I should be on the water by mid-week.

As for those night time hogs.. more power to ya! I hate fishing in the dark... and I hate the cold... so all of my fishing this time of years is from about noon til four. I believe I stated earlier that I've caught more big walleye this fall/winter than ever before. Those bigguns will bite during the day if you can find them! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo / NY View Post
Yep.. The river here went from 6 feet to 14 feet and also turned to mud. At least that stupid ice is all gone! It'll drop back down quickly, so I should be on the water by mid-week.

As for those night time hogs.. more power to ya! I hate fishing in the dark... and I hate the cold... so all of my fishing this time of years is from about noon til four. I believe I stated earlier that I've caught more big walleye this fall/winter than ever before. Those bigguns will bite during the day if you can find them! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
I have hand warmers in each pocket and gloves off It just doesn't seem right unless I'm knocking the ice off my rod tip after every cast I stood and stared at the water this morning, trying to convince myself that it was clear enough to fish. Kind of like staring at a Doe through the scope like horns are going to magically appear on her head.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Minnow

I hope all you guy's are putt'n the big girls back.... I know it's to each his own, but I just lowered my freezer slot to 21" on this body of water. On the Columbia, Erie or Ontario etc... I keep larger fish do to the water body. Used to eat 22"ers and down here on the Branch, but the last couple I cleaned were just sooo at there prime and full of eggs I felt bad. Soo 21" and down from now on. Personally I prefer 17" to 20"ers.... puuurfect eat'n size.
Plenty of action during the day too, back at the first of this month I (with a buddy for two days) boated 74 eyes in 6 days. A few Bass and a few Muskies too, 2 over 40", 1 over 48".

Oh and you can get a nice replica made of your really big girl too ....
That 29-1/2"er in my Avatar went back along with many over 29" in the last few years including a 10lb5oz er, pushing right at 30".
Wife put back a 13lber on the Columbia a few yrs back, 33-1/2"s WOW nice fish.

Last edited by Jettn Jim; 01-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.