Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
two minnkotas - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Minnow

Default two minnkotas

I have 2 mk bow mounts a 1999 mk powerdrive with auto-pilot 42# and a 2003 powerdrive 40# both work and look like new. They will go on a 1710 Lowe backtroller with a 60 hp johnson and an 8 hp mercury kicker. Which minnkota would be the best for the boat ? I will use the kicker and 60 for backtrolling the St Clair river for walleye and then drift for smallmouth on Lake St Clair. I have never used the auto-pilot but it does work. Thanks for any help. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Auto pilot is nice to have when you just want to point in a direction and sit back. YET, the older auto pilot compass control boards had a history of going out, therefore before you permanently mount the motor, make sure to test the operation of that motor if unknown. The newer pd drive will likley steer/turn slightly faster.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Thanks Cyber I tested both last night they both work well (drove a lag bolt thru the mounting bracket into my wifes wood picnic table she loves me so) you are right the nnewer one does turn faster . I bought a quick disconnect so switching really would not be too difficult. Think I'm gonna put the auto-pilot one first give it a shot. retiring soon so will be going from Il, to Stclair quite often Think I will throw the other one in the storage on the motorhome just in case. Thanks again.