Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pymatuning - PA Fish Commission Survey - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 05-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Minnow

Default Pymatuning - PA Fish Commission Survey

Well, the Fish Commission here in Pennsylvania decided it was time to look at the fish population in Pymy. I really don't know what the numbers mean to us fishermen, but here is the article.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_192041.html
Old 05-02-2004, 11:22 AM
walleye88

Default RE: Pymatuning - PA Fish Commission Survey

"A total of 2,516 walleye were caught in trapnets. They ranged in size from seven to more than 28 inches. What was especially noteworthy, though, is that 96 percent of the fish were of legal size, meaning they were 15 inches or longer."

The article also mentions that the most popular complaint is that the walleye are too small. I'm not sure the article is entirely accurate. Five to 10 years ago, most of the complaints were about small walleye. Recently, many of the complaints have been about far fewer walleye and almost no small walleye. Only 4% of walleye under 15 inches does not sound like a good healthy balance to me.

walleye88
Old 05-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Yellow Pikee

You are right on money the walleye88, something is fishy about this article. Question? Why isnt it in the paper when they are going to do this counting of species? Why cant licensed fisherman watch and witnness these surveys? Can you say ENRON? If the surveys were actually done they probably were in the sanctuary part of the lake. Give us all a break Wally Warden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 AM
amh

We were camping at Tuttle and witnessed the commission coming off the water several times. Kids talked to them aout the surveying and what they caught. The nets were set up right around the point.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Yellow Pikee

How many fish did you see???????????
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
amh

Only the ones that were in our boat!!!!!

Can't speak for the other guys.... ;)
Old 05-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Keeper

Yeah, that's basically the same results I found on the PA F&BC website.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/
Click on Fishing and then click the report from 4-22-04.

I was hoping they'd publish a full breakdown of all 25 species caught... not just walleye, muskie and black crappie. I'd also like to learn more about the history of the Alewife in Pymatuning Lake. Just how abundant are they? How drastically have their numbers increased since they were introduced?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Keeper

Pikee, They've been doing those annual trap net surveys out in the main lake for as long as I can remember. I suppose anyone could go observe them if they really wanted to. Maybe you're thinking of the open house up at the Linesville fish hatchery. I believe those walleye are netted in the game preserve.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Minnow

I personally saw the Fish Commission unloading netted fish at the Linesville marina on two differnet Saturday mornings a few weeks ago. They unloaded at least one monster fish, probably a musky, but was too far to tell. It had to have been as long as my leg and as fat as my thigh. I also talked to a guy that said he was slamming eyes one morning at the debow launch and he said that the commission pulled up and was netting fish.