Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
spawning walleyes - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 04-05-2001, 01:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: talk about total mismanagement........

someone with erie connections will have to answer about
gill nets now...i think part of the quotas for the commerial
fishermen have been issued so i would say yes netting is
being done on erie now.

the minnesota gill nets were bought off long ago. there is
no gill netting done on manitoba lake of the woods. native gill
netting is being done on ontario lake of the woods and there
is alot of it during the summer.

i cant find any logic to any of it. ontario replies to critical
comments with "it our resource to manage, not yours", on their
side of the border that would be true.

curt quesnell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2001, 03:40 AM

Default RE: spawning walleyes

Hey CMB....been called a lot of things in my life but girl ain't one of them. :-)
Old 04-05-2001, 04:54 AM
cmb

unfortunatly $ from and for local buisness, commercial fishing, sport charters, and all places frequented by local and out of town sport fishermen is a large part of the big picture that must be considered. this is why politics and compromise are nessesary in just about every managment decision. I understand where you are comming from, but beating your head aganst a wall will not make change (only one big headache). ODNR and the other agencies involved need to work together and find the best fit solutions that consider all factors, not just catchable fish.

My personal opinion: The ecosystems of Lake Erie are undergoing serious and rapid change. cleaner water with less polution and nutrient imput, allong with clearer water and a bottom up restructuring of the ecosystems, complicated by the invasions of ZMs and Goby wan kinobes. the reapearence of mayflies and other benthic inverts, high populations of forrage and lockjawed walleye are all inter-related. yes, the eye population has declined, and yes commercial harvest has had a large impcat on this, however these changing conditions and community structures also have had a role.

with this said, the big pond still has the best fishable population of walleye, and a good distribution of year classes and size. we have been hearing for years that we need to change our fishing patterns and styles to keep up with these changing conditions. those that have done so are succesfull in regularly catching their limits. I for one refuse to troll, but my goal when fishing is relaxation and catching and fighting a majestic creature using my own skill. (riding around in a boat waitnig to reel in a fish bores me and seems less rewarding and satisfying)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Keeper

ezmarc, you are right. It would be a very boring world if we all agreed. Thanks for letting mama walleye go. All of my *****in and moanin saved at least one this year. I hope that the eggs she lays hatch and survive and that you catch her offspring for many years to come. Hey cmb, I think Buckeye is now more upset with you than with me. You go girl ! Hope that makes you feel better Buckeye.