Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I'm at it again - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Minnow

I mapped out Erie to Deep River, Ontario to see how far it is. The route goes through Peterborough. I had not thought of the kawartha lakes area. There is some pretty decent walleye fishing in some of the kawartha lakes and in rice lake. That's way less than 7 hours. Most of the kawartha lakes have muskie as well along with a good mix of bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr View Post
I mapped out Erie to Deep River, Ontario to see how far it is. The route goes through Peterborough. I had not thought of the kawartha lakes area. There is some pretty decent walleye fishing in some of the kawartha lakes and in rice lake. That's way less than 7 hours. Most of the kawartha lakes have muskie as well along with a good mix of bass.
How are the Kawartha lakes for walleye. Really interested in targeting walleye in early morning and late evening, with bass and pike midday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

If you are used to the Ottawa, you should look at a fly-in to Big Lake Dumoine in Quebec, you would probably fly out from Rapide des Joachim just NW of Deep River.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

I should mention, I lived in Deep River from 98-01 and our Sportman's club did a lot of work with the MNR including tagging lots of fish on the spawn using the MNR shock boat.

The biologist told us the strain of walleye that live in the Ottawa in that area is very slow growing, really big fish are rare. Of the thousands of fish we tagged the biggest was one female that weighed 9.9 lbs.

Lake Domoine is a bit better for big fish.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Minnow

Above the Swisha dam you run in to bigger fish. That night be a result of a lot less pressure which is what I always thought. But you see a lot of blues in the river above the dam that are migrating down from the Dumoine so presumably there are regular walleye coming down the Dumoince too. Maybe there is a genetic angle as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr View Post
Above the Swisha dam you run in to bigger fish. That night be a result of a lot less pressure which is what I always thought. But you see a lot of blues in the river above the dam that are migrating down from the Dumoine so presumably there are regular walleye coming down the Dumoince too. Maybe there is a genetic angle as well.

About 2 miles up the Dumoine River there is a fairly significant waterfall, maybe 20 feet. We also tagged fish there. I doubt there is a large migration from Big Lake dumoine, it's quite a ways. The population above the Dam would certainly be spawning in the Dumoine river.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Slot Fish

Look up Sudbury aviation. Have not been there in years and does not compare to west ontario or manitoba etc but we did three fly ins in there, cheap, and had fun with kids. Be sure you get references as we have not been there since mid 90's.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
I should mention, I lived in Deep River from 98-01 and our Sportman's club did a lot of work with the MNR including tagging lots of fish on the spawn using the MNR shock boat.

The biologist told us the strain of walleye that live in the Ottawa in that area is very slow growing, really big fish are rare. Of the thousands of fish we tagged the biggest was one female that weighed 9.9 lbs.

Lake Domoine is a bit better for big fish.
I'm more interested in numbers of fish, and eater sized fish. Live close enough to great Lakes that if I want submarines with eyes, I will go there. Looking more for Canada experience with friends and lots of great shore lunches and fish fries. Would you consider this area if you were looking for something like that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by altemus_prime; 08-01-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Minnow

I doubt there is a large migration from the Dumoine to the river also but there is definitely a migration. my group has caught several blues in that stretch of river and they are coming from the Dumoine. They can't get down river on the other side of Swisha though based on my experience of having caught many above and none below
Old 08-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Keeper

How about trying Georgian Bay south of Sudbury. The French, Key and Pickerel rivers have been good for decades.
There are many camps in the area and if you check google, you will find it has a good fishable shoreline with tons of bays and inlets etc.
Brother in law used to own Key Harbour Lodge and we spent many years in the area without being skunked.
Also because it is on the edge of deep water, there are some lunkers around.
Good luck in your hunt and google says its within your 7 hour drive time

Last edited by Dogbreath; 08-08-2016 at 03:33 PM.