Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lab puppy? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM
JesusUL

Thanks,
I do not want to send him away to dog school, overall he is a great dog. Sit, Stay, Sit at open doors, wait to come in. He does great and is eager to learn. I am struggling with walking and over excitement with other dogs/people. I put in the time, will do a bit more research. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 2 1/2 year old female shelter lab. She is turning into a great dog, finally at 2 1/2. She is walking better on a leash, but she still gets really excited when people come over. The Lab breed is known for this.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Labdude

Red face Lab

Mine was wired right from day one right till the day he had a heart attack (according to the vet)
Just turned 15 and was done RIP. Buddy .....Any Whooo

That dog was crazy happy for people and myself no matter the time frame away from them acted like he hadn't and going
seen you for 3 years

And always pulled on his leash for his walks and his nose to the ground ( Awesome pheasant Dog)
The only time he didn't pull was when we turned around and heading for home then he was normal

In My opinion you couldn't train him out of it . that was just him He was a nutjob and i miss him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

First, before I say anything more, some has to speak for man's best friend.

I'm surprised that no one has recommended an electric collar, now there's a tool that would bring your children into line. Unless you are a professional dog trainer, your time and return is better spent mowing lawns and paying someone to train your dog.

I must confess that I have used a choke chain and electric collar on other dogs with some degree of success but my present dog is 14 years old and completely deaf. She learned hand signals along with the other things as a pup and other than irritate the neighbors with a whistle, we continue as if she could hear. She has never been struck and I can express my displeasure with a look that bothers her more than any physical punishment. The last 8 years of hunting I only carried the whistle so she could locate me in heavy cover.

Last edited by mac; 09-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

Used to be an outfit called Dunn's I believe down in TN or KY. Anyhow I got a "choke" collar for them that's slick as heck. Leather with a spring inside it and a roller deal. Do't know if they're still in business or not. The collar has little tacks on the inside of the collar. When the dog pulls the collar squeezes down and pinches him and when the dog lets up it releases immediately. Used it on a couple dogs and it doesn't hurt them but sure makes believers out of them in a hurry. You might want to check around on one.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
John Adams 1826
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Keeper

There is a leash that goes from the neck to a loop that goes just ahead of the dogs hind quarters so that when you say heal and the dog pulls they tighten the loop on there body and soon will get the message to not pull. Old school is a little stick that you gently tap on them if they go to tighten the leash, you need to also give them the heal command when doing this. Dogs that are disciplined and well trained are a pleasure to be around and own. Tritronics Trainer collars are the best, but you need to know when and how to use them and use them with a lot of care. My hounds and my lab all listen to the commands and never have I ever laid a heavy hand on them. They know the rules and commands and respect me. I get a lot of my supplies from Steve Snells Dog supply.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Smile training

Try an obedience class. We did it with my Weimar & I gotta admit that I learned a lot.

2020 Jeep WK2 - v6
2021 Lund Renegade 1875
115 Pro XS with SS Prop - Solas New Saturn
Lowrance Locators 7 & 9 inch hook Reveals
Garmin Livescope w 93sv
Minn Kota 70 Edge
Mainly fish Table Rock Lake in S/W Missouri
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

prong collar and walk the dog in and around people and other dogs. It takes time but they'll get the hang of it quick. We have a 4 month old and he's also nuts. 2 times with this style collar and he walks great!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catch1 View Post
prong collar and walk the dog in and around people and other dogs. It takes time but they'll get the hang of it quick. We have a 4 month old and he's also nuts. 2 times with this style collar and he walks great!
This is what I did with my pup.

I tried a choker and a Halti but the prong worked the best. I have my pup walk next to me, not in front of me. I set the pace and direction, not the dog.

To socialize my pup I take him everywhere I can. When on vacations I take him for walks in small towns. When the wife is in shopping in the small stores we sit outside and people watch. He's gotten used to different environments and strangers.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Keeper

Default Object to two ideas.

I object to anyone declaring that a choke collar is inhumane and that it is admitting defeat. I also object to the idea that the answer is obedience school with some other person. You also do not need to wait two or three years for the dog to "settle down". People that want to take responsibility for their children's education or their dog's can home school very successfully. Working and hobbies can get in the way of spending time with your dog. Don't pass it off on someone else, create the bond with your dog and make time for effective training. Choke collars, electronic collars, and stern voice reprimands will shape up the pup in short order if done several times a day.