Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2nd Amendment $ - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default 2nd Amendment $

I am in the process of applying for a CC permit. Went through the training class, $70 and now will apply through my local county sheriffs office which I think is about $35 for five years.

My question is why should I have to pay to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. On the premiss that the State or Feds want to regulate to keep guns out of the bad guys hands, then the cost burden should be the State or the Feds. I do not think it should cost me one dime to exercise might 2nd amendment rights. IMHO

What do you guys think about this?

Last edited by stinkycat; 07-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Think of it like a hunting license to shoot deer. It's your license to shoot burglars and muggers. And better yet there is no limit.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

The State and Fed get their money from you and me. Either way, you pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91
Big 10-4!!! ...The State & Fed have us taxpayers both coming and going to support (w/our wallets) foolish laws that they pass...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Last edited by Raybob; 07-11-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I agree we pay either way but with the idea that the regulations are to keep weapons out of the hands of the bad guys, it should not cost disproportionally more for the legal citizen to exercise his rights. It will cost me over $100 while any other citizen that does not have a CC permit it costs $0, and if this was paid by the state or Fed it would probably cost me less than $.10. IMHO
Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkycat View Post
I agree we pay either way but with the idea that the regulations are to keep weapons out of the hands of the bad guys, it should not cost disproportionally more for the legal citizen to exercise his rights. It will cost me over $100 while any other citizen that does not have a CC permit it costs $0, and if this was paid by the state or Fed it would probably cost me less than $.10. IMHO
[tongue in cheek] Be careful what you wish for! If the Gov 't starts paying for your CCW license, the next thing you know, they'll want to give free ones to low income families and, since they are now licensed, also give them free handguns and ammo. Cost/citizen will rise to $300 each. [/tongue in cheek]

Seriously, you are paying $100 for the priviledge of legally carrying a concealed weapon. Why should someone without that priviledge- and who may be unqualified to have it- pay for your priviledge? Yeah, I know "shall not be infringed", but infringement is already a fact, isn't it?

Last edited by yarcraft91; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
[tongue in cheek] Be careful what you wish for! If the Gov 't starts paying for your CCW license, the next thing you know, they'll want to give free ones to low income families and, since they are now licensed, also give them free handguns and ammo. Cost/citizen will rise to $300 each. [/tongue in cheek]

Seriously, you are paying $100 for the priviledge of legally carrying a concealed weapon. Why should someone without that priviledge- and who may be unqualified to have it- pay for your priviledge? Yeah, I know "shall not be infringed", but infringement is already a fact, isn't it?
I do not agree that it is a "priviledge". It is my right to carry. And actually it is a "permit to carry" weather its concealed or not.

My main question is the cost and who should pay for it

What other right require specific dollar amounts charged just to the citizen that chooses to exercise that right?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Noah Cantell

Smile It's all about responsibility.

How much does responsibility cost? How much would any of us pay to be reasonably sure more responsibility is in the world?

The law is for your protection . . . whether you like it or not. Count your blessings. A whole bunch of states don't allow CCW. If you took anything resembling the NRA involvement in your CCW course, you will remember those states that don't. If you didn't ultimately get the following out of your CCW course, IMHO you flunked it.

To someone who doesn't know us there's no guarantees that any of us can be a good guy or a bad guy. How do they tell the difference? They can't. The bad guy has a disadvantage because they are not as responsible/morally sound as good guys. By taking the time to take the course and then to pay for the added administration costs of issuing that CCW, you become a good guy - at least on paper. There's nothing that says bad guys can't fake being good guys, but the majority of them won't go through the trouble - that's why they are bad to begin with. Your CCW is the biggest responsibility of your life because it can involve the taking of another's life. The big picture says we must do everything possible to be judged not at fault. By not taking the course/registering for the CCW card, and if we concealed carried anyway, we become more at fault than if we did so. If the foregoing doesn't make good sense enough, look at it as, with your CCW card if they hold you at all for merely having a concealed weapon on your person, and you are in the right, they will hold you maybe an hour, But without the card you can be held 48 hours, charged, spend 6 weeks in jail waiting for your trial.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
7mmWSM unlogged

Quote:

My question is why should I have to pay to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. On the premiss that the State or Feds want to regulate to keep guns out of the bad guys hands, then the cost burden should be the State or the Feds. I do not think it should cost me one dime to exercise might 2nd amendment rights. IMHO

I think that we Americans are so used to getting the shaft from our government entities that we just roll over and take it. I think that the excuse for all the "red tape" is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and mentals. It doesn't work, but it generates money, and that my friend is what is most important to our government officials.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I am in the process of applying for a CC permit. Went through the training class, $70 and now will apply through my local county sheriffs office which I think is about $35 for five years.

I agree with you...but if you live in north central WI, how can you get a carry permit?

Last I heard our dog breathed governor vetoed CCW the last two times the state senate and house passed it?