Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Layer of film on morning coffee - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Hollis ULed

Default RE: Layer of film on morning coffee

I used to get coffee from the foreign ship's captain when I had a job inspecting ships. It had a LAYER od thick oil on it,..my boss said to drink it to not offend the captain (lots of posturing in this job) I was told it was the oil from the beans and you got a lot more of it from the foreign captains was that they steamed the beans to "brew" coffee. I also understand that some coffee makers operate to cause a bit higher heat (so maybe the difference) Also if you do this AND have hard water the mag and ca. salts will combine with the oils (a bit like making soap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM
maxxey

Default coffee film removed

I have a terrible film (almost like a metalic/shiney oil slick) on top my coffee. I bought bottled water and it dissapeared. I then ran our water through a carbon filter and the slick dissappeared. We are having an inline carbon filter installed on our kitchen water line to get rid of this problem. My water man said it is plant debree in the well water. It is not harmful but not nice to look at. It is called Tannins. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwhy View Post
But what does the lemon juice do to the taste of the coffee?
Bob Y. WBSA Member
Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
- William Sherwood Fox
Ever had espresso in Italy? It's served with a twist of lemon. You rub the lemon rind on the rim of the cup to add flavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

"Black Gold", Jed Clamppett got rich on it.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1965 View Post
I use a Carafe style brewer and have no problems...
Have you guys ever tried Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee??
Hard as #### to find and expensive (except in Jamaica) but absolutely amazing coffee. Has won the top coffee award for several years running...wish I could remember where I read that...but DAMM the stuff is good.
Is that the coffee made from monkey poo!LOL(Movie Bucket List)

I have heard it is very good coffee but have yet to try it.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Hydrophobic material (Oil)

This is a very interesting topic. The first thing one must recognize is that the film is hydrophobic substance. Not unlike vegetable oil in water, it is a substance that does not mix stably with water. Of course, there are always work-a-rounds high pressure and high heat are two example of how to “mix” two unlike materials together. In the case of coffee, this oil is from the bean itself. Hydrophobic molecules related to oils are major ingredients of cell membranes (think plants – vegetables and coffee beans).
So why are there so many differences between one pot to another; one restaurant to another; one brand from another……
Quite simply, there are too many unknown variables:
1) Amount time from being roasted
2) Time from being ground
3) Location of where the beans are harvested
4) Length of time of being roasted
5) Heat of water used to brew the coffee
6) Quantity of coffee used to brew
7) Brewing technique
8) Additives (think of water quality)
9) Etc
# 8 relates to many of the variables described in the numerous threads above. Think of the lemon juice solution. Lemon juice is a hydrophilic material that loves to combine with water. Not unlike detergent used to clean dishes, the lemon juice will break down the water resistance of the hydrophobic materials. The more elements in the water(such as chlorine, iron, lemon juice, calcium, etc) the less oil will appear. I have never brewed with distilled water, but I am guessing that will provide more of a “oil slick” than tap water. Reverse Osmosis water should also provide the slick.

Based on the recent data of the positive qualities of coffee, just sit back and enjoy a cup of joe. That oil is better for you than you think!!!!

"Just Rip Lips and Keep a Tight Line!"
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Just Me

Thumbs up Interesting

I have come to the conclusion that we have found a post from Sept 2005, to comment on. And we need open water soon...LOL

My mother always said some coffee just was plain bad....

I like Egg coffee myself..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Wallhanger

Years ago I discovered the best coffee is steamed brewed. Get a good coffee system, its more important than the bean. Drip brew is just bad coffee. My Saeco unit has brewed over 10,000 cups and is still going strong. Med roast unless your makin espresso then its the darker beans.