Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bird SI transducer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Keeper

Default Bird SI transducer

Can anybody send me pics on how they mounted there bird SI transducer? I have a 619, 2011 Ranger. I'm losing bottom at speed. I replaced the ducer thinking it was that and even sent the head in to be checked. It use to work fine but I know the ducer must of moved. I have a 998SI unit.
The connections are good from ducer to head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Keeper

mine picks up bottom at speed. it throws it's own rooster tail though. mine is also prone to kicking up if i'm running through any kind of chop. pouring down rain right now, so no pics available. i believe you have to have it a little deeper (hence the rooster tail) in order for it to pick up bottom at cruising speed. hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel View Post
mine picks up bottom at speed. it throws it's own rooster tail though. mine is also prone to kicking up if i'm running through any kind of chop. pouring down rain right now, so no pics available. i believe you have to have it a little deeper (hence the rooster tail) in order for it to pick up bottom at cruising speed. hope this helps.
This is what I found also. For what ever reason I find that a little bit of a chop on the water works better than flat.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalter View Post
Can anybody send me pics on how they mounted there bird SI transducer? I have a 619, 2011 Ranger. I'm losing bottom at speed. I replaced the ducer thinking it was that and even sent the head in to be checked. It use to work fine but I know the ducer must of moved. I have a 998SI unit.
The connections are good from ducer to head.
The best solution is to get an as sidb y splitter and glass in a 2d transducer. That way you should get good high speed 2d readings and good SI/DI at lower speeds.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Keeper

I agree about the in hull but not a option at this point. I have mine at half transducer below hull but not sure on angle. I ran a straight edge off the hull and lowered transducer so puck is half way below on hull. It used to work but now not good. not sure where the ducer was when I bought the boat
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

A suggestion for fixing the problem you mentioned on the transducer kicking up.....put a thin plastic zip tie across the mounting holes in the bracket of the transducer. Its strong enough to hold it down and weak enough to break if you do hit the transducer into something. I wish it was my idea but I cant take credit for it. As far as the rooster tail.....lay a bead of silicone in the gap of the transducer bracket and you wont have any more rooster tails. again not my idea but I have done both of these remedies.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

BTW, I have two HDSI ducers and a 2D ducer split with the AS SIDB and AS SILR cables. I got tire of dorking around with optimum placement for hi-speed depth and SI imaging with a single HDSI transducer.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	145010
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnnonmt View Post
A suggestion for fixing the problem you mentioned on the transducer kicking up.....put a thin plastic zip tie across the mounting holes in the bracket of the transducer. Its strong enough to hold it down and weak enough to break if you do hit the transducer into something. I wish it was my idea but I cant take credit for it. As far as the rooster tail.....lay a bead of silicone in the gap of the transducer bracket and you wont have any more rooster tails. again not my idea but I have done both of these remedies.
thanks for the idea. i'll give it a try tomorrow.