Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Scuppers on 1900 prov SE - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Keeper

Default Scuppers on 1900 prov SE

There have been a lot of discussions on rotting transoms and that you should inspect your scuppers for leakage.

My 2001 ProV has some corrosion around the scuppers in the back. I would like to pull them off, clean up the aluminum and reinstall or replace them. Can someone tell me how they are installed? Does the outer and inner part screw together or are they just pushed into place and sealed. Should I look into purchasing a new set before I tackle this project. Do you know what size I need? Mine are black. I read a lot about 3M 5200 being a permanent sealer/adhesive, is that what you would recommend to seal the replacements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Keeper

Hey Jerry. I wondered this also for years. I have a '99 ProV. Back about 6 or 7 years ago, I noticed "corrosion' forming around my scuppers too. Barked up the electrolysis tree for awhile with no success. Finally paid a Lund dealer to check out the transom and found rotten wood. I took for granted that the scuppers would have been sealed much better than they were
The dealer told me that the scuppers can just be "driven" out or in other words, they just press together to install. I bought my '99 hull in '01 so i'm not covered by warranty. Trying now to put together a plan to take to NY Mills Mn. from SW Mo. Hope you fare better than me. 😡

DeadHead
Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Keeper

They push together. If you look on the inside you will see a lip where the "inner" piece overlaps the "outer" piece. I used a pipe( or socket) and hammer to bang on the "inner" piece and push it out. I did not replace mine and I sealed mine with 4200 in case I ever needed to take it out to fix the flapper.

Based upon my experience, the bad news is that the corrosion is likely caused by a wet transom. The wood gets wet and leaches chemicals that react with the aluminum. I also had some corrosion around the bolt heads on the back of the transom indicating the same corrosion process. When I removed my scuppers the wood around them seemed fairly solid but there were other areas that I could push a screw driver through. I do not think that the scuppers were the initial source of my water problem. I am fairly certain that the water initially came in under the transom cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm currently working on my transom. I've read about rotten transoms on Lunds and had to do a little investigating. Good thing I did. I pulled out one scupper and sure enough, rotten wood around the hole. Pulled out other scupper, good shape. Now.....do I pull the kicker and motor and remove transom cap?? I did, everything is in good shape, but the plywood was soaked!!! Apparently, marine plywood can be wet but still OK, UNTIL rot starts. I went online to do some checking and found a product from The Rot Doctor. It is a 2 part epoxy used to repair and stop rot in wood on boats.
The thing that really bothers me is, Lund did not have any sealant on the scuppers or the transom cap. Nothing!!! Doesn't make sense to me. When I'm done, it should be better than new.
The boat is a 2005 ProV. Big money doesn't necessarily mean quality.
BTW-floor is starting to get rotten spots as well.
Boat never sits outside except for a couple weeks in Canada.

Thank, Brad
Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Keeper

Well, it looks like I will have to investigate this a little further. I will pull mine and take a look.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Hat Trick

With the issues of late, I'm trying to figure out why any of the manufactures use wood for anything anymore?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Wallhanger

Anyone know what's the warranty on Lund's transom? Life time for 1st owner? 10 years? No such thing? I bought a Non~Current 2005 on 2006, just want to know what to do if/when that day come.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Keeper

No warranty. I'm the original owner of an 2001, purchased in 02. $3800 quote from Lund for the rotten transom. Told the "lifetime warranty" is for the rivets and seams. My dealer was able to work a deal, but by the time I paid him to strip and re-rig the boat it was the same money not including the days off to drive it up and back.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Those cheap plastic scuppers are bad news. I haven't seen an older boat with them yet that didn't have one leaking at least a little bit. Push them apart, clean them up really good, clean the inner and outer surface of that transom and then seal them well with silicone, gluing the two pieces together with silicone in the process. Look closely for a scupper hidden right under the big motor mount too. Most people don't know they are there.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Just had a friend with a 2002 Lund that the transom was rotted. As stated above Lund wanted $3800 to repair. He balked and the sent him a new replacement transom but he had to install it, needless to say he was pretty mad. Many Lunds in this year range have the very same problem and for his boat you needed to almost remove the entire cap. I gave him a link to Seacast, a pourable transom repair. https://www.transomrepair.net/
I helped him prepare and do the first pour, it really worked slick. Minimal tearing apart, the worst thing was getting the old transom out. It is worth looking at. As a side note, a week after the repair he hit a rock in Canada that destroyed his lower unit but not an indication on the transom of any damage.

Tags
scupper