Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
how often do you grease the zerk - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Default how often do you grease the zerk

on your shorelander trailer? The trailer i had previously - i blew out the seals from greasing to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Slot Fish

If you are talking about bearing buddies you only grease them till they move about 1/8 inch. Don't grease them till they bottom out that is too much. Another thing I liked about Shorlander trailers on the one I had it had grease zerks for the leaf springs that was nice and kept thing quiet.

Tom
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Keeper

Default trailer

these are stationary zerks --- they dont have a spring like bearing buddies --- i assume they do the same as what was on my tracker - put grease out in the middle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Slot Fish

Ok I know what you're talking about. There is another hole farther down the spindle so both bearings get grease. I can't help you with that one, sorry.

Tom

Last edited by Indybleck; 07-17-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthairsrus View Post
these are stationary zerks --- they dont have a spring like bearing buddies --- i assume they do the same as what was on my tracker - put grease out in the middle
If these are "EZ-Lube" or "Safety Lube" style with the Zerk in the center of the axle spindle , that you take off a rubber plug on the hub cap to get to,you push grease in until you see it flowing back at you out the front, completely filling the hubcap. These type of systems assure the inner bearings get completely filled first,them it pushes grease back out toward the outer bearings.

Generally,during the season I just make sure they are filled,and usually would not have to regrease them. Normally I would only have to fill them once a season.

The beauty of these systems is you can completely flush the hubs with fresh grease without taking them apart. I generally do that once a year on mine,to flush out all old grease and contamination. You will need a whole large size cartridge of grease to flush both sides of a single axle. Best to do it at end of every season as part of your winterization process. Once totally refilled, under normal circumstances,if your seals are good, you should not have to add grease again until time to flush them again. Just occasionally pop the rubber plug off to inspect and make sure.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Keeper

This is the same setup that Trailmaster uses on their trailers. It's amazing just how dirty the old grease becomes after just a few hundred miles of use. I really like being able to replace the grease without disassembly.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrodder View Post
This is the same setup that Trailmaster uses on their trailers. It's amazing just how dirty the old grease becomes after just a few hundred miles of use. I really like being able to replace the grease without disassembly.
Its probably not the mileage that makes it look that way,it's dunking them in the water.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Its probably not the mileage that makes it look that way,it's dunking them in the water.
Exactly. That's a real good reason to replace the grease before any long trip. Compared to replacing parts, grease is cheap.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
its just the grime for the bearing rollers and races spinning together that make it look that way

water will give it a light, milky color

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.