Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GPS for the truck????? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Question GPS for the truck?????

I am going to be doing some traveling this winter, and would like to have an automotive GPS system (portable) for the truck. Nothing real super high tech, but with a touch screen. I am thinking the Nuvi series by Garmin, the 200W looks like it would meet my needs......any comments, recommendations, or tips????

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Minnow

I have the 200 would like the 200W. Works well for getting from here to there. All I need in a map.

If you do get it be sure to register your S/N through the Garmin Website that way you'll be sure see if you qualify for the latest and greatest base map.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Slot Fish

I have the TOM TOM One-- Not real $$ And the wife can figure out how to use it.. She loves it

Good Luck-- Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

My vote is the Garmin Nuvi, or maybe the 530. There are some deals on them now too.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Eddy View Post
My vote is the Garmin Nuvi, or maybe the 530. There are some deals on them now too.

"Yup" as to the deals.

Check out gpsdiscount.com. I have bought 2 GPS units for my boat and one for my autos and they have been good people to deal with. Fantastic prices.

They make refurbished units available from Garmin at a substantially reduced price. My auto unit is the C340. I didn't need all the bells and whistles of the higher priced units and I am very satisfied with it.

Be sure whatever model you buy has streets called out by voice so you don't have to read the screen!! Some of the other manufacturer's didn't have that in their early models.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default GPS Update...........

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 200W, downloaded the updates, and took it out on the road. All I can say is WOW!! This unit is really cool. I know it isn't the one with all the whistles and buzzers, but WOW! Seems to be easy to use, easy to read, and most of all, easy to understand the data... I think I will be happy with it.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I still have a old Magellan 12 channel (GPS 2000 XL) that works just fine & takes me straight to any new door-step ~ I do feed it some new GPS location info before-hand when makin' trips

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

lowrance xog you can put any map chip in it and use it for turn by turn or on the lake ice fishing! simple to use.....
Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
WOW! Seems to be easy to use, easy to read, and most of all, easy to understand the data... I think I will be happy with it.
Easy to use, that is what sells them without any work.

TBO I show folks GPS units all the time. I let them tell me there needs and a I set up a few demo's for them to tinker with. The often say they have never used one or seen one....so All I do is tell them it's a touch screen...and turn them loose. They soon weed out models that are too much work to navigate, or have confusing menus. More often than not they narrow it down to the Garmins in the first 2 minutes.

I remember a certain precious gall, whom happens to be in her 80's, who came in with here daughters and granddaughters to look at road GPS units....for her Granddaughter.

After 5 minutes tinkering with several models, and here slapping her daughters and grand daughters hands to keep away from her screen..... she told me..."Not sure what all the fuss is about..see...there is nothing to these things". She bought herself a Garmin ...and one for here daughters...and granddaughters.

No selling required there. LOL!

Last edited by Backwater Eddy; 08-29-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Minnow

Default Garmin

I bought a Garmin 200 no gliter or glits with this unit it just works!