Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Most nutritional puppy food - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Most nutritional puppy food

I was just wondering what you guys recommended to feed a large breed puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Wallhanger

there are many good ones. We have a small dog, but we were really green on the dog foods when we first got him. After a month or so we found out he was allergic to corn so we started reading up on foods.

Some friends recommended Taste of the Wild. It is rated with 5 stars.

one big thing we noticed was he no longer eats as much food with the good food compared to the bad, so the higher cost per pound makes it last longer.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

I have always been a fan of higher end dog food. I think the results are in a healthier longer life for my dogs. My setter has been on Nutra Source since we got her. It ranks way up there on the scale of good dogs foods. We do use Taste of the Wild for our cats. Like other posters have said it is 100% grain free which I believe is important. The Nutra Source we use is also 100% grain free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

When we got our GSD puppy-the breeder feeds all the dog AND puppies the Nutro adult dog food-the one for sensitive stomachs (whether or not they have a problem). Boo eats like he never has seen food and his stools are always normal (not runny-goopy-droopy-dopey- etc.) With our prior GSD Shadow-he was extremely picky and we had to continually change his food. Not so with Boo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	534.6 KB
ID:	17375  
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

I have been feeding my labs Wally World Old Roy Kibbles and chuncks for the last 10 years, I just had one Lab die 2 weeks ago at the age of 18 years old. I have no complaints about old roy, all 3 of my dogs are very healthy. About $18 for a 40 lb bag.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Keeper

i gave my dogs the expensive stuff. then tried pedigree no difference still have the same amount of land mines in the yard. so stayed with pedigree never went back to the spendy stuff
Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Slot Fish

Default Fromm's

We tried all kinds of food when our Golden had a very dry, itchy coat. She would scratch all night until she created sores. We finally found Fromm's. Her coat has been perfect since. http://frommfamily.com/
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
We tried all kinds of food when our Golden had a very dry, itchy coat. She would scratch all night until she created sores. We finally found Fromm's. Her coat has been perfect since. http://frommfamily.com/
Do you use the grain-free or the others?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Minnow

My buddy breeds labs and i have a 7 yr old black lab female my dad has her daughter we all feed diamond they have puppy active adault and maintain for the older dogs shiny coats great teeth and all around great health my lab kate eats active and you would never guess she was seven 50lbs will run ya 24i bucks at orschlens or tsc great great food
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

I've been doing lots of research on puppy/dog foods and it's pretty confusing to say the least. I find it's hard to get an unbiased opinion. I'm currently feeding my pup Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food as that is what the breeder recommended. I tried switching him over gradually to Orijen Large Breed Puppy which is grain free. It's real high in protein which some say isn't good for puppies. He had runny stool on this food so I went back to Eukanuba. Maybe after he adjusted to the Orijen things would have stiffened up a little...I don't know. I've also read that over feeding will cause loose stool. Maybe I fed him more than he needed. I like the idea of a grain free food. I think it's a matter of finding a happy medium that works for your pup. I plan on trying grain free again after my pup is older.

Good luck.