Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shad Size? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Shad Size?

All the posts on soft plastics lately has got me wondering? Gizzard and Treadfin shad are the forage base at most of the lakes in my region. In spring when there are only Adult shad available, what is their average size? I am getting ready place an order with Bass Pro Shops and I am wondering if I should get four or three inch shad baits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Shad Size?

An interesting question. The small lake near my current house has largemouth bass bluegill, and crappie and has been stocked with shad for forage. In the spring, the shad I see spawning along the shoreline are probably more like 4 inches rather than three. That said, those 4" guys look awfully big and most of my shad-like baits are generally more in the 3" range other than the longer Rapala-type stickbaits. The 3 inchers seem to work fine on the bass. Can't say I could comment on walleye with any specific experience, but with their smaller mouth, I would still guess the smaller baits would be good.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

The adult shad in Pueblo which will be spawning soon are huge, about 10-13 inches long. The fry school up and stay back in the shallow coves in the millions. They are about 2-3 inches but are so numerous it is useless trying to find predators under them. What I was told is that at that size, the young stay shallow for three reasons, (1)they were hatched/born (whatever) in the shallows and will stay there for a few weeks, (2)the food for them, plankton is more available in the shallow/warmer water and (3)they stay shallow for safety, until they exhaust the plankton at which time they head for deeper water. Once again, I have never caught anything under them when they are shallow. Kinda like there are no hungry people at a free food hand-out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

A couple of years ago my friend Bill and I took his boat out at Cherry Creek in late March to get it ready for a trip to Glendo. The lake had just iced out and there had been a huge fish kill. The Gizzard Shad were huge! Some were 13-14 inchs long and there was thousands floating around the lake. Didn't smell to good either!
Old 02-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I buy the 4 and 5 inch plastic shad baits. I figure having a larger bait when on the water is better because I like to have enough of a bait so if they aren't taking the large (5 inch) bait, I just bite off about an inch, and work the size down to what they like. You know the old saying "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

by the way if you need shad baits, check out jannsnetcraft.com and staminainc.com they have the best prices if have found, also jigmasters.com has a great assortment.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-27-2002, 01:02 PM
GoWyo

I use alot of 4" plastic, they have a slower rate of fall when paired with the right jig head. Have been pouring my own 3/16 oz. W/ a wider gap long shanked jig hook, Like a 2/0 O'Shaughnessy work really good. You have to thread your plastic on from the side and turn and come out the top of the back with these longer shanks. The Balance is really good and you can get a Shad body to track nice through the water.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Do those work at Glendo?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I was at Jackson Reservoir last Saturday and some dudes were catching Shad. They were at least 12 inches long. Time to pull Musky baits behind leadcore.

Neal, I thought your therapist was making progress regarding your tackle buying problem or did you just decide to put an addition on to your house? LOL!

"Hunting 'eyes in the Three-O-Three"
Old 02-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I can't help myself! LOL.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:33 PM

Good point on slowing down the fall of a jig. I like to use as light a jig head as possible and slow it down even more by going with a bigger plastic body. Get the 4" Neil, all my 3" are getting old in the bags.