Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How accurate are most fish scales? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default How accurate are most fish scales?

I lost my scale last week so I can't check this out. Have you ever calibrated your scale? How accurate do you find the average cheap hanging fish scale to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

When I buy one, I first stop at a grocery store and buy 10# of flour and 5# of sugar. The sales clerk and I can then test the scale I'm considering at 5, 10, and 15 lbs. Accuracy seems to be an individual thing, with no consistancy within a brand/model. If you have one already, you can test if the inaccuracy is a percentage thing that's predictable or if it's all over the place. My current scale is off by 0.3 lb for every 5 lbs.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

About 15 years ago, I bought a Normark (Rapala) digital fishing scale 0 to 10# max. We had a standards lab where I worked and I checked its accuracy at 5# and 10# and it was accurate to within 1 oz. I was very pleased with it and it's still good up to this day. I think it may be a jinx because I can't crack the 10# Walleye Club barrier. My best is 9# 15 oz.

Dogs....Do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not.
There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.
~ Eugene O'Neill ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

The most accurate scale is a common tape measure.
No need to worry about calibraing a spring, no lying on the weight.

The tape measure does not lie.

Bottom line - what difference does it matter how much the fish weighed?

Use the tape measure and just record the lengths.

Sure all fish of the same length will not weigh the same. Is that a problem?

REW
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

It would seem that there would be an active market for a scale which reads heavy, increasing proportionately as the actual weight increases!

Bill Krejca
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Slot Fish

I know the IGFA will certify boga grips and honor weights recorded for tournaments and WR's ... They've got to be pretty reliable for an organization such as them to do something like that, Prices on them are a little outrageous though.

I agree with REW though, i never carry a scale, tape measure is good enought for me and you cant fake or lie about length when a tape measure is present.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The most accurate scale is a common tape measure.
No need to worry about calibraing a spring, no lying on the weight.

The tape measure does not lie.

Bottom line - what difference does it matter how much the fish weighed?

Use the tape measure and just record the lengths.

Sure all fish of the same length will not weigh the same. Is that a problem?

REW
Yes REW, it is a problem. Mike 7759 was simply asking about the type of scales available and their accuracy from the experience of fellow fisherman. Perhaps this gentleman is a tournament fisherman and needs to know what fish to cull, if that is allowable. Or maybe he, like myself, would like to be pictured on WC's Ten Pound Club. Look how close the MWC tournament was this past week at Huron, OH. Mere ounces per fish on a limit of 10 is the difference between winning and gas and entry money. But, if you're laying on a bank, with your straw hat across your face, and you have the fishing line wrapped around your big toe waiting for a bite, then maybe a scale is not so important. Just sayin!

Dogs....Do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not.
There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.
~ Eugene O'Neill ~
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
CRB ul

Thumbs up

If your fishing a tourney an accurate scale can come in handy. I like weighing my bigger fish just out of curiousity. Nothing wrong with wanting to know the weight of your fish. If you want to use a tape I'm OK with that.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Or, he could be like me. Any walleye heavier than about three pounds and lighter than 10 goes back in the water. Small ones are easier to fry properly, and a 10 hits the wall.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Kool,
If you are in a tournament and are culling fish, the most accurate method is to use the balance beam:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gator...ge-GATGCB.html

Inexpensive and 100% accurate.

REW