Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger Boat Cover Scratches - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Slot Fish

Default Ranger Boat Cover Scratches

I have a 09 619 ranger fisherman and wondering if anyone tows there boat with a cover. I heard and was told not to tow it with the cover on because it will leave rub marks or scratches on the gun rail. I know the new ranger cover have felt fabic down the sides of the cover. I was going to have this done, but they wanted 450.00 to do it at the local canvas shop. Also thinking of adding a pole to the back of the cover to get it even tighter for 50.00. Any input would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I tow with the cover on and I have an 08 Reata. Tighten it down as much as you can, really crank on it, I have noticed 0 scratches from the cover and the boat pulls night and day better with the cover on when taking longer trips.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Slot Fish

The few times I've towed my 620 with cover on, it left rub/slight wear marks on gel coat. They haven't come off, but you also really have to look to see them.
I tighten the heck out of it and it fits well, but they still flop.
If weatehrs nice, there's no cover on it.
If going on out of town trip, I just cover it where ever I might be stopping for the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I've always got rub marks on my boats from towing with a cover on. My trick if I'm towing a distance with the cover on. Run saran wrap down the rails and the top of the console windshields to protect them. Takes less than 10 minutes to do and seconds to remove.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

You could buy a dozen of these and put them in the correct spots to protect your boat from marking.

http://www.websweeper.com/php/boat_covers/bc-004.php
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Or, Buy several of these and have them sewed to the inside of the cover in the appropriate locations.

Be safe
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
You could buy a dozen of these and put them in the correct spots to protect your boat from marking.

http://www.websweeper.com/php/boat_covers/bc-004.php
My good cover has felt lining like that on the underside. Doesn't do much but trap road dirt in it and turn it into a sheet of fine grit sandpaper.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Slot Fish

All the canvas guys said it would turn that felt in to sand paper when towing it on gravel roads, but then why would ranger add it too all there 70K Boats? I think i will add a pole on the back and maybe use the saran wrap that Custom Eyes talk about.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

The saran wrap is so easy and cheap to do. All I do is tie it off on one side of the transom through the transom strap loop, then run one long continuous piece down the rail on that side, around the bow, then down the other side and tie it off on the other loop. Done. Rolls are around 200', so I can wrap it about 8 times for less than $5.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
The saran wrap is so easy and cheap to do. All I do is tie it off on one side of the transom through the transom strap loop, then run one long continuous piece down the rail on that side, around the bow, then down the other side and tie it off on the other loop. Done. Rolls are around 200', so I can wrap it about 8 times for less than $5.

Good idea !

I never pull my boat with the cover on it. I try really hard to keep the cover clean and free of abrasives so I only use it when the boat is parked on the trailer.

Your finish is so fragile it will always turn cloudy ( slightly scratched ) if ANYTHING rubs on it.

I try really hard to maintain the value of my investment, although my boat is scratched.

IMHO your finish will suffer trailering your boat with the cover on it. The Ranger ( travel cover ) is a fantastic work of art, but it will still scratch your boat when subject to HWY speeds.

I have a large plastic tote that is very clean that I store my cover in, on the road the cover lives under my topper until its time to cover the boat for the night.