Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oil bath hubs...good or bad? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: Oil bath hubs...good or bad?
Mine are great! Never a problem. 80 81.63%
Mine have had issues. 18 18.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Keeper

Default Liqua Lube Hub installation

It is not to difficult, the most difficult task is drilling the hubs for the cap mounting screws. The best way is to drill them with a drill press, then you know they are straight. You also have to tap the holes and care must be taken not to break the tap off in the hole, (one of my lessons).

You will need some locktite to place on the inner seal race to "glue" the speedy sleeve in place and keep it from turning and seal the mating surface from leaks.

I have had them on my shorelander single axle trailer for 3 years and really love them. They reduced the hub temperatures on my axle considerably. I have a ProV 2025 and that is normally sold with a tandem axle trailer but I opted for a heavy single axle. It has a 3700 pound axle under it and before I converted it the hubs used to get very warm, they would be much warmer than the tires, after converting to Liqua Lube they are the same temp as the tires.

I had a little problem at first because Liqua Lube did not make a speedy sleeve for my axle so we shortened the spring on the inner seal to tighten it on the seal race and that would work for about a years pulling and then start to leak. This spring I took the trailer to a machine shop and we mic'ed the seal race and had some speedy sleeves made for the axle. I've had 2 300 mile trips this summer and a bunch of short ones so we will see if I get more than one season out of the seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

I replaced the rear seals this year, they were 5 years old, and I was losing some of the oil somewhere, I also has Liqualibe send me new seals for the hub covers too. Figured to "re-seal" it, in a way. Not bad for 5 years of cool service, and not as messy, for sure!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

where is the best place to buy the Liqualubes ?

Rebs
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

I ordered mine directly from them. I couldn't find many other places that were retailers back when I did this. Do a search, something like k-dee trailers was the only other I saw. The lady on the phone was nice, and when she was asking about the diameter for the sleeve, I didn't know, but somehow she did, and everything fit nicely.