Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Towing with Ford Escape 2016/2017 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Minnow

14 Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost and trailer package and towed a 1775 Impact with 115 with no problems. Wouldn't want to go over that or be in a strong cross wind but the 2 years I towed with it, it was just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Wallhanger

The unanswered question for towing near the inflated (in my experience manufacturers' capacity is long term wear tear and repair. Yea you can tow 5k with 5k rated vehicle, but what's the long term impact? A tranny at 100k,brakes every other year, the near miss accident becoming an accident due to stopping distance, suspension repairs? Plenty of risk takers out there, many but not all are lucky. My rule of thumb for 4 bangers and modest 6 cylinder soccer mom mobiles is to never go past 50% advertised towing capacity regularly. Obviously many trucks with modern 6's can do better. Be safe, we all have 8 less lives than a cat!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

Here is the 2016 tow info for the Escape as the 17 are not on the Ford site yet.

Note is talks a lot to the need for brakes on the trailer.

If your boat is 3000 pounds and the vehicle weight of 3645 pounds 35 gallons of gas at 210 pounds. Your at 6855 pounds leaving 783 pounds from max vehicle weight for guests, you and gear. Oops did you figure for the the trolling motor, kicker and batteries?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016 ford escape tow info.pdf (322.6 KB, 306 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
thanks for the input, it will be a similar situation, it won't be the prime towing vehicle but it's nice to know it can be used. The main boat is a 2000 681 Ranger with a 115 Evinrude, I would think the boat/motor/trailer should come in around the 3000lb mark.
If it's not your prime towing vehicle and not used for high speeds/long trips it sounds from others experiences that it should work okay.

There's a big difference between towing across the state on the freeway and towing down to the local lake.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 12-11-2016, 07:20 AM
Keeper

Not exactly a comparison as I would guess the wheel base of my van is longer than the Escape. Also it may be heavier.

I have a Honda 2013 van with 130,00 miles on it. I tow a boat ready to fish that weighs in just shy of 2000 pounds. (Weighed boat at our local grain elevator). Van was equipped with a Honda towing package which included the hitch, and accessory tranny and power steering cooling package.

My van has towed my boat around 40 thousand miles of which 26,00 miles has been towing my boat to Canada with two in the van and loaded with supplies for a week of fishing, eating and lots of beer drinking.

I rarely drove over 65 mph as I'am concerned about emergency stopping and fast lane changes.

Perhaps I've have been lucky as I have no problems.

Addendum: With a Ford Bronco II stupidly I towed a 17' bass boat from Iowa to Lake Okeechobee in Florida. Going thru the mountains on the way could only go around 40 miles an hour. ( A week of fishing only got us less than ten bass). Only one break down associated with the carburetor.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Keeper

I forgot to note that at about 30,000 miles my Ody had a transmission failure while still in warranty.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
If it's not your prime towing vehicle and not used for high speeds/long trips it sounds from others experiences that it should work okay.

There's a big difference between towing across the state on the freeway and towing down to the local lake.
I wonder about the real extent of stress, and wear and tear associated with towing vs regular driving. I tow my boat at least 7,500 miles a year. Probably 98% of those tow miles are interstate and good high speed driving. These road surfaces are much better than the my daily drive conditions. I typically drive a steady speed when towing so there is little acceleration stress on the drivetrain. My brakes are barely used so there isn't much brake wear.

In contrast, when I am not towing, my vehicle is in a state of stop and go, it is only a matter of degree. My brakes and drivetrain are working regularly and intensely. Road surfaces are highly variable. Temperature variations are extreme sometimes starting at -20 deg F. Other times doing stop and go in city traffic at 100 deg F. These are sometimes really tough conditions. Starting the engine multiple times a day, etc.

It would be interesting to get the findings of a study that measured these conditions to compare vehicle component longevity of usually steady state towing vs the daily grind. My guess is long distance towing causes less stress on tow vehicles than caused by the regular daily drive.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

I would suggest loading your boat up with fishing gear and fuel. Then go to a recycling or truck stop and get true weight for your boat and trailer. They normally like you to weigh your boat and trailer. Then pull off and take your trailer off. Weigh your truck only and subtract. I would guess that your boat and trailer weighs more then you think. Maybe not with a 115 on it but it is nice to know either way The only towing at 65 is also about trailer tires. Most C range tires are only rated to 65. You have to get D range tires to have higher speed ratings. With a escape I would for sure want trailer brakes.

Last edited by Snowking; 12-11-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

I estimate my rig is in the neighborhood of 3500 lbs (20' Starcraft, 150 2 st, kicker, Terrova, 4 batteries, etc.). I tow it with a short wheelbase std cab 2006 Dodge Ram. I have plenty of power via the Hemi but it's a load to stop if the trailer brakes aren't functioning 100%. Personally, I wouldn't tow this rig with an Escape. Two of my fishin' buds won't tow it with their SUV's either (Honda Pilot & Kia "insert name here")
Old 12-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't tow a 20' foot boat with a single axle trailer, and I wouldn't tow a double axle trailer with an Escape or any other vehicle with a 3500# tow limit.