Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
For the few/Apple is dropping the Airport Extreme/Express - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default For the few/Apple is dropping the Airport Extreme/Express

I just thought I would post this if you use Apple Airports for your router or as a bridged WiFi access point. I was waiting for this next rendition of the Airport Extreme, but Apple says sales are lacking and are dropping them. So I scooped up my last one I guess. This one has the beam forming feature, is AC compatible (faster wifi, if your computer is ac speced too) and is a taller unit then my flat older non-802-11ac Airport. Just note that the Extreme has 3 LAN ports and not 4 like most routers.
I have pushed Apple and PC owners that had constant WiFi problems with dropping and reestablishing problems, when they bought the common cheap residential WiFi routers. They never called after they went with an Airport....they just work.

I do not use mine as a router/firewall, I just use it as my WiFi unit or Wifi receiver. So you plug the LAN of the Airport into the LAN of your router to get a WiFi access point OR plug it into the WAN and make sure you go into the Apple Airport App and change it to bridge mode that is how I have it. I know this is conflicting as I just added this last half and don't have time to test the LAN to LAN. You then can turn off your routers WiFi if you use it for a WiFi access point.

Plug the feed from your modem into the WAN if you use it for a router firewall. and Wifi. As an access point, you need to put the Airport into bridge mode. Bridge mode kills the firewall action because you don't need that when you are behind your other firewall.

So any of you guys or gals are Apple users and want to grab one while they still are around, they are still on the shelf's of Best Buy where I bought mine. And at Apple dot com.

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

Update: Boy is this WiFi faster then my old Airport Extreme. Glad I bought it!!

Last edited by Apple Guy; 12-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed one of the best routers made.
I have been using apple brand for years and the AC speed of the current model is great.
In my case it comes via a time capsule, didn't need the 3tb storage that it has, but the cragslist deal was great, a PC guy had no clue how to use it & the apple windows version of airport utility is crippled
Old 12-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

If I can get one at a reduced blow out price I may just buy another one.

Are you using it as a router or wireless access point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

it is being used as a router for one of our wired & wireless networks.
It feeds a over-kill cisco 48 port managed giga switch.

Also running another wireless net with a netgear/dd-wrt firm
Old 12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
it is being used as a router for one of our wired & wireless networks.
It feeds a over-kill cisco 48 port managed giga switch.

Also running another wireless net with a netgear/dd-wrt firm

You mean your 8 amp draw 48 port switch? For the house?

Old 12-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

well my kill-a-watt says about 70 watts +/- depending on activity.
That was the first thing that came to mind when the 24 port went out, I pulled a power supply from another unit to repair that one. But just could not put it back into service again having to give up on features that this cisco offers.
Been working hard to reduce power usage around the house over the past year in other areas.