Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Building up transom from 15 to 20 inches - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 05-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Slot Fish

Default Building up transom from 15 to 20 inches

I am looking at building up the transom on a 16 Ft. aluminum boat to 20 inches to take a long shaft motor. The current Hp rating is 35 Hp. Will building up the transom increase the rating? Would I have to add any extra braces if I went up to a 40Hp motor? And lastly, if I go to a 4 stroke motor, is the extra weight a major concern. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Freckles

Default RE: Building up transom from 15 to 20 inches

I beleive that whatever you do to your boat you can not go over your manufactures capacity tag rateing. The Laplander
Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Hawg

I did that once on a 14 ft Lund. It would be a lot easir to get a short shaft motor and good splashguards. If you don't do it real right it's a headache. No it does not increase the rating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Walleye Johnson

We built our transom up from a 15" to a 20" on a 16' Lund S16. Went from a 20 hp. to a 30 hp 3 cyl. motor. Never had a problem. Guy who did our work was from Beleview, Iowa cost us around $110.00