Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
BEWARE OF THIS E-MAIL - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
GF

Default BEWARE OF THIS E-MAIL

We have paypal and this came to an e-mail we have, but not used for our paypal account, which caught my eye to begin with, then if you moused over their link to supposedly paypal it had an IP before the paypal, which is not to paypal. I logged into our account and did change some info, but definately not thru their bogus links... Just sharing as at first glance one would think to go and give info then you lose. Be careful.
>>>>>
We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However if you are the rightful holder of the account,click on the link below to log into the account and follow the instructions.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

If you choose not to complete the request, you give us no choice but to suspend your account temporary.

It takes at least 72 hours for the investigation in this case and we strongly recommend you to verify your account at that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as an other PayPal user.Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related attempts to missapropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request or law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

PayPal Account Review Department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: BEWARE OF THIS E-MAIL

I got this email or one like it about a month ago. They said that Pay Pal was going to temporarily suspend my account because my credit card was close to expiring. It is over a year before it expires. I got in and checked to see what they wanted and they wanted all the information for my credit card. The thing that red flagged me the most was when they wanted my ATM pass code. Why would Pay Pal want my ATM pass code? I got out of it and went to Pay Pal and got things straightened out. I told them that I don't know or want to know my ATM pass code and I sure as heck wouldn't give it to anyone if I did.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

>I got this email or one like it about a month ago. They said
>that Pay Pal was going to temporarily suspend my account
>because my credit as when they wanted my
>ATM pass code. Why would Pay Pal want my ATM pass code? I got
>out of it and went to Pay Pal and got things straightened out.
>I told them that I don't know or want to know my ATM pass code
>and I sure as heck wouldn't give it to anyone if I did.

I get 4 or 5 a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Keeper

This stuff has been going on for years........where you been?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
GF

I have been around and seen it as I know some have not so just helps to keep some up to date sorry to bother you..
Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Minnow

Pay pal is not the only company I have gotten phished by>. I do my online banking with Bank of America and have gotten phished by scammers trying to get an unsuspecting person to click on a link provided by them... Beware of all emails from companies that you do online business with. If you get ANY email from a company that has access to your private information. DO NOT OPEN IT!! Close your mail and contact that company from their website from a new browser page.. Or better yet Call them on the phone and ask them if they have sent the suspect email..

Scammers are out there in numbers. Protect yourself..
Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 PM

These scams have been around several years already. I always hover over the links they provide, mostly for comic relief before deleting the email. These scams exist for Paypal, ebay, citibank, Bank of America....the list goes on. These companies will NEVER ask you to log in to your account to fix a security problem, and Paypal will always address you by the name on your account. All these scams do is send you to computer that will log your username/password when you enter them then you are screwed.

btw... Most of the time these morons don't even use proper english in their emails. These scams are easy to spot.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

If you use Mozilla Thunderbird for your email client (instead of Outlook or Outlook Express) it compares the URL's to the text of the link and will tag Scams for you. But essentially anything appearing to be from your bank, PayPal or eBay is a scam 99 out of 100 times.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 AM
pepe

hey gf, thanks for the heads up. its always good to be pro-active than re-active...pepe
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

>I have been around and seen it as I know some have not so
>just helps to keep some up to date sorry to bother you..

Well, thanks GF, this was the first time I received this email.:cheers: