Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
F150 Yamaha fuel issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default F150 Yamaha fuel issue

I've had a problem with my primer bulb not pumping up. This is a 2007 Ranger 1850VS with around 130 hours. This motor has never failed to crank and run.
In that 130 hours this primer has pumped up hard only two times. It doesn't matter if I check it before or after running the motor, it's empty and will not pump up.
I changed the fuel/water separator filter the other day and I filled it full of fresh fuel prior to installation, so there is no air. I tried to prime it and it doesn't pump up, as usual.
I removed the primer and checked for proper operation. It has what seems to be a good suck and blow.
I stopped by the service center today to inquire. The tech just handed me a new primer and said here, try this. Well, I did and the same thing happens, nothing.
Like I said, it has never failed to crank and run. I just hate when things don't work like I think they should.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Well, My F250 and T-8 bulbs do the same thing. Never has failed to start for me. I've never thought of it as a problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

this may sound like a dumb question, but are you holding the bulb vertically, with the arrow pointing up? I find mine is sensitive to how it's held, and works much better held vertically. A little bit down this page explains it, too.
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/primer.html
HRG

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 01-07-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
this may sound like a dumb question, but are you holding the bulb vertically, with the arrow pointing up? I find mine is sensitive to how it's held, and works much better held vertically. A little bit down this page explains it, too.
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/primer.html
HRG
Yep, I was told the same thing and it makes no difference.
I'm not sure this is a problem, after all, it does crank and run good. It's just a need to know issue to me.
Thanks,
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

It appears that I fixed it.
I took the line off going to the motor, raised the bulb up vertical and it shot fuel in two strokes. I emptied the bulb and line to the F/W filter. I cut off about a foot of the line to the motor and it pumped up in three strokes.
I had read at THT that making this fuel line as short as possible solves some running issues on the F150 4-cycle. It was disputed by some that it did nothing. I don't know. I'll give it a while and see what happens.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler53 View Post
I had read at THT that making this fuel line as short as possible solves some running issues on the F150 4-cycle.
Getting the bulb as close to the motor as possible will help with the hole shot hiccup so many of us have dealt with on the 150. My neighbor who also owns a f150 was instructed by a tech to shorten his to prevent the hiccup and now his bulb does firm up as well, always soft before. Mine will be shortened before opener. Maybe it'll firm up as well?? I just want the hiccup gone.

BIRDDOG
Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

I just wanted to update you Yamaha F150 operators on how my motor responded to a little tweaking.
Some may recall all my clucking that I couldn't get 6000 rpm out of my motor. Well, along with shortening the fuel line between the primer bulb and the filter on the motor, I replaced that filter on the front of the motor.
You were right, went552. The hiccup is gone after shortening the line. It has immediate throttle response, and it hit the magic big-6 number. Actually, it was flickering between 60 and 61.
I feel mobetta now
Dang if I don't believe that that filter was causing low fuel flow/pressure, robbing me of 500 rpm.
Maybe this filter needs changing more often with the junk gas we are getting. That $32 made me
Anyway, thought someone might like to know.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Minnow

Same hiccup issue with my 150. Want to duplicate your success, would you have a pic of the configuration you have set up with the fuel line and bulb placement - thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by toula View Post
Same hiccup issue with my 150. Want to duplicate your success, would you have a pic of the configuration you have set up with the fuel line and bulb placement - thanks in advance
Are these Yamaha motors with the hiccup carbed or EFI ?? Just curious.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

just change the filter, fuel line length isn't going to matter given the length it is stock.