Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Taking down an Ash tree, does the wood have any value for woodworkers? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Taking down an Ash tree, does the wood have any value for woodworkers?

I am taking down an Ash tree. Does the wood have any value for woodworkers? They say the green Ash was used for yard planting in the burbs, so chances are it is that variety. Can I sell this stuff for more then firewood? Do woodworking stores buy raw wood like this? 18 inch diameter.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Taking down an Ash tree, does the wood have any value for woodworkers?

If IRC, ash is used for tool handles.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM
WarrenMN unlogged

Default RE: Taking down an Ash tree, does the wood have any value for woodworkers?

If it came from a forest. Wood that comes from around houses and farm yards runs the risk of having nails or other embedded material, like barb wire, that saw mills hate. There is a special metal detector shaped for checking trees but I imagine its expense, so don;t hold the breath.
I hate cutting fire wood and seeing those tiny orange sparks come out. You just as well get out the sharpener right then and there and hope you went all the way through it.

WarrenMN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Try one of the woodworking forums like Sawmill Creek, but I think you'll find one tree, especially ash, isn't gonna get people flocking to your door...never know though.

Also maybe post a ad in Craig's list and see what happens.

Al
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Keeper

If IRC, ash is used for tool handles.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM
WarrenMN unlogged

If it came from a forest. Wood that comes from around houses and farm yards runs the risk of having nails or other embedded material, like barb wire, that saw mills hate. There is a special metal detector shaped for checking trees but I imagine its expense, so don;t hold the breath.
I hate cutting fire wood and seeing those tiny orange sparks come out. You just as well get out the sharpener right then and there and hope you went all the way through it.

WarrenMN
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Try one of the woodworking forums like Sawmill Creek, but I think you'll find one tree, especially ash, isn't gonna get people flocking to your door...never know though.

Also maybe post a ad in Craig's list and see what happens.

Al
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

Virtually every residential ash tree in the state of Michigan has been taken down in the last two years. The demand is extremely low right now unfortunately.

In SE Michigan you are lucky if you can find someone to take it as firewood. There are ban on transporting ash across county lines.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Slot Fish

Yeah not many ash trees left round here. They need to come to my sisters house and get her 2. My buddies uncle bought a portable sawmill and drives around and gets these logs. He runs them through the mill and planks them and dries them. He sells them to the amish. But like j9f said, there is no market for them in SE michigan due to the fact they cannot be transported across lines. All the ones around here go to the tree service property an when they get a mountain, they bring in a semi truck with a trailer that grinds the whole logs up and turns it into mulch.

My friend took down 10 trees in his yard, rented a splitter, and has been heating his house during the winters.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Hollis Uled

WarrenMN is right on. I once asked my friend that has a large saw mill if he wanted a huge beautiful oak tree that had to come down due to expansion of a room. he said that he wouldn't touch any tree around a house for that reason even if free and delivered to his door. He says his expensive saws can be ruined with metal put in a tree from long ago and it would be more expensive than the wood was worth. I don't know if others can use a metal detector these days,..but I guess he didn't or didn't trust that they would find metal deep in a tree.