Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you tip the pizza guy? If so how much? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
yeah well, the sweet young thing at Hootors in Orlando FL just got $20 on a $100 tab from me, just because,,,,,,,

HRG
Just because what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Minnow

$2 or $3
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Wallhanger

How far away is your Pizza place? If you are putting a couple of miles on your vehicle (I bypass several pizza joints but the pizza I want is about 5 miles round trip) thats at least a couple of bucks right there in vehicle operating costs. Add to that, I either relaxed at home or was doing something productive when someone came to my door and handed food to me. Worth at least five bucks to me.

Over the years a few people I know were pizza delivery people for a while. Most did it for quick,liquid money. I doubt with car costs, any really made much in the long run. They also told me how tough it sometimes was. People who said "I don't have any spare money right now,I'll catch ya next time" They never did or gave it to the next driver if they did. 2 of the delivery guys said they were robbed. One said it happened 3x to him. Going to a false address and a group of young toughs either just taking away the pizza or demanding the money they carry.

Also how some people never order a pizza unless the weather is so severe that they can't get out themselves and still give the driver 2-3 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chots View Post
We ordered pizza tonight I couldnt decide on to tip or not, my girlfreind said not to because you already pay a delivery fee in the price but being a nice guy I gave him a couple bucks.
You guys are cheap if you had to "decide". It's shameful actually ......
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
I never tip them

I pick it up
We pick it up as well. If the kids want pizza, I will pay but they had best get moving while it's hot.
I always have them drop a buck in the cooks tip bucket.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
How far away is your Pizza place? If you are putting a couple of miles on your vehicle (I bypass several pizza joints but the pizza I want is about 5 miles round trip) thats at least a couple of bucks right there in vehicle operating costs. Add to that, I either relaxed at home or was doing something productive when someone came to my door and handed food to me. Worth at least five bucks to me.

Over the years a few people I know were pizza delivery people for a while. Most did it for quick,liquid money. I doubt with car costs, any really made much in the long run. They also told me how tough it sometimes was. People who said "I don't have any spare money right now,I'll catch ya next time" They never did or gave it to the next driver if they did. 2 of the delivery guys said they were robbed. One said it happened 3x to him. Going to a false address and a group of young toughs either just taking away the pizza or demanding the money they carry.

Also how some people never order a pizza unless the weather is so severe that they can't get out themselves and still give the driver 2-3 bucks.
I would just rather get it hot out of the oven instead of waiting on a guy who may have 10 other deliveries in front of mine. I order it then I am on my way to go get it.

never really gave it much thought. I just go get it

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Keeper

Here in Quebec, people who work where there are tips pay income tax on the tips that the government estimates they have received throughout the year. I'm not sure what the percentages are and even if they get less than minimum wage because of the tips. This discussion has made me want to check this out.

Anyway, I tip a lot. I wish I had more money to tip even more so if I can't tip, I get the pizza myself. I am retired and making barely what I could get if I was on social welfare. I tip the mechanic at the local garage where I get a lot of my repairs done. Yes....they remember me. And yes, the tipping has even saved me money in the long run.

Just the other day, I replaced my disks and brake pads. The guys did a real nice job on cleaning and making sure that my calipers were working ok too. Total cost for time.....35 dollars. This was way less than the 105 dollars (1 hour at 80 dollars and 25 for the caliper cleaning) that a large garage wanted to charge me for the same thing. Anyway, I tipped the 2 young mechanics 10 dollars each for the 1/2 hour job. I tip 3 to 4 dollars for my 15 dollar shampoo and haircut even though the guy who cuts my hair has been doing it for a good 30 years. He usually charges 18 to 20 dollars for a haircut.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Keeper

I tip pretty good for delivery. I have three kids in and out of college and they all worked for tips. My sons job right now is delivering burritos in LaX.

An example was one pizza place 12 mile from here. They deliver to the near side of my town and I live on the far side of it. I like their pizza and orderd one one night for the family. The delivery guy got $10 bucks on a $25 dollar order. Worth it to me, I couldn't even drive my truck there and back for that. Probably should have gave him more.

More normal delivery is typically 15-20% of the order which is usually 5 bucks or more. For those of you giving a dollar or two I understand money isn't plentiful in some cases and you can only give what you can afford but keep this in mind. Thirty years ago a buck or two was a normal delivery tip. Just saying.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

20 % from me. Occasionally more if the weather is bad.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtow View Post
20 % from me. Occasionally more if the weather is bad.
I am about the same, in winter I definitely take the weather into consideration. However as places have increased their delivery fees, I find myself just doing carry-out. There's a place close to me that will be a hour for delivery, but only a 20 minute wait for carry-out.