Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota traxxis vs vantage - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Minn Kota traxxis vs vantage

I have a alumacraft 165 navigator. Thought I wanted a vantage but am now thinking the 80 traxxis might be a less expensive good option for jigging an back trolling (90 yami). Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

Less expensive yes. But the Vantage is worth the extra cash.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I have never owned a Vantage but I have the 80LB Traxxis. Before it ever got wet I turned the head around as I use it exclusively for backtrolling. I really like it. It deploys and stores easily. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Keeper

something to keep in my mind you do have to take the vanatage in for service and if that leg sticks down, will not be fun to get up... happened to my buddy in a tourney.. just a thought.... nice motor for price though
Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Keeper

the Traxxis is not really designed for back trolling.....when spinning the head on it 180 degrees to back troll it gives it maximum torque in a reverse situation but when maxing your speed say if it's really windy, the stow away feature can and will fail, it can pop out.....check out how the stow away feature is designed, not designed to be pulled on, it's designed to be pushed on....my vote is Vantage

1725 Pro Guide
75 Merc 4s big tiller
Vantage 80
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Keeper

I went from a Minnekota Vector 3X 80lb on the back to a Terrova I-Pilot on my bow for slow presentations.I am able to follow contours better with the bow mount.That has been my experience anyway.Bill
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinmanDon View Post
the Traxxis is not really designed for back trolling.....when spinning the head on it 180 degrees to back troll it gives it maximum torque in a reverse situation but when maxing your speed say if it's really windy, the stow away feature can and will fail, it can pop out.....check out how the stow away feature is designed, not designed to be pulled on, it's designed to be pushed on....my vote is Vantage
Tinman,
Give Minn Kota a call about that. I bought one of the first ones out, and had to "tweak" the internal springs to eliminate the pop-out in reverse that you are experiencing. From talking to one of their people at a show last year, they've supposedly corrected the problem.
Mine will no longer release under full power, backing up, with the head turned.

HRG
Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Tinman,
Give Minn Kota a call about that. I bought one of the first ones out, and had to "tweak" the internal springs to eliminate the pop-out in reverse that you are experiencing. From talking to one of their people at a show last year, they've supposedly corrected the problem.
Mine will no longer release under full power, backing up, with the head turned.

HRG
that is good, wasn't aware of an update on them......I don't own one, got a Vantage myself but before buying I was researching and this was the result

1725 Pro Guide
75 Merc 4s big tiller
Vantage 80
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Keeper

I went with the Traxxis on my 16' boat. Less money, less weight. It will go with the boat when I trade it in a year or so. New one will be a Vantage.

Traxxis - Mine is the 24v 70#

Last edited by CHM; 04-17-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Model
Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvwalleye View Post
I have a alumacraft 165 navigator. Thought I wanted a vantage but am now thinking the 80 traxxis might be a less expensive good option for jigging an back trolling (90 yami). Thoughts?
The Traxxis is made for back trolling. Turn the head before your first time out. With your size boat I would still go with the Vantage. I have the Vantage on my 1825 and my Father has the Traxxis 55 on his 16' Pike Rebel. Both motors do very well. I do carry a rubber headed mallet just in case the Vantage sticks in the down position. Our local authorized MinnKota repair guy said that is what he does. LOL.