Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crossing the border without a passport - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM
hoosier walleye

Default Crossing the border without a passport

Just got back from Perrault Falls and wanted a post a short note to let everyone know that a passport is not absolutely necessary to get back into the US. Let me explain, my wife and I got married on the Wabaskang a few years back and before heading up we submitted the proper paperwork to obtain a passport card in her maiden name knowing it would need to be renewed once the trip was over.
In late June, we sent in the paperwork and old passport card to update it to the new name. The passport center sent us a letter stating they needed a certified copy of our marriage certificate. We did not get a chance to obtain this before the trip so I started making phone calls.
You do not need a passport to enter Canada via land, only a driver's license and certified birth certificate. I called the CBP at International Falls to ask about returning into the states without a passport, nexus or enhanced driver's license. The agent told me they cannot deny anyone entry back into the United States who can prove they are a US citizen. A state issued driver's license and certified birth certificate will satisfy this as well.
The custom's agent looked at the documentation after we explained the situation and sent us on our way. Looks like the WHTI implementation is still floundering??

Don't put off your trip because your passport has not been received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

A passport makes it easier but what are they(US customs) going to do, deny a US citizen entry back into the country because they don't have a passport, I dont think so.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron-IN View Post
A passport makes it easier but what are they(US customs) going to do, deny a US citizen entry back into the country because they don't have a passport, I dont think so.
Yes, they can. And do. It's happened many times.

You usually only get delayed by a few days, but that is still incredibly inconvenient and annoying.

Don't test this.

Get a passport!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Slot Fish

Don't you see all those guys sleeping on the bridge at International Falls. They are called the "LIMBO" people. They either forgot or lost their passports and now are condemned to live their lives without a country. The US wont let in and you know Canada isn't going to let them back in. They are just stuck on the bridge. We always stop and give them our leftover food. Quite a few end up starving to death. Very sad!

Guns don't kill people. Dad's with pretty daughter's do!

Just remember boy, I'm not afraid to go back to prison!

1999 Lund Angler 1700
Yamaha Pro 60
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Boarder boy

Wink Limbo People Etiquette

Just what is the proper distance for panhandling on the bridge? I’ve been on the bridge since July 2010 and can’t believe how rude some of the Limbo people have gotten.

Proper etiquette is to leave at least 25 yards between you and the next panhandler. Last week I was on a good spot (truckload of fisherman coming back from Ontario) when some jerk moved in on my spot. I had to split the leftover ham and taters. Sheesh.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Border Bob

I know you don't want to drive by them to fast cause it really makes them mad. Sometimes they make obscene jestures or throw empty beer bottles at you.