Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pheasant hunting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 09-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Pheasant hunting

For those of you that love hunting these beautiful birds I thought this article was interesting. Was a time when central iowa would have made this list but farming fence row to fence row had taken its toll.

http://www.pheasantblog.org/the-25-b...ns-in-america/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Whoever put Lewistown, MT in the top 5 must have never been someplace where it is really good pheasant hunting. (?) It is just Ok and access is not very good.
-Surprising about Iowa, too. I used to hunt around Yale, Jamaica, Bagley, Guthrie Center, annually, long ago (Pre Lake Panorama) and it was absolutely fantastic.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Wallhanger

Your right about the farming practices in Iowa. I remember 10yrs back, we would go out and get our limit after a hard days walk, even better a few years before.

Just this morning I went on a preserve hunt and upon telling my children about it (6 and 3), they asked "what does a pheasant look like?" Sad where it has gone.

On a positive note, SW Iowa pheasant surveys has them up 290% this year. I guess they went from seeing 3 LY to 8 TY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Wallhanger

I have been to 14 of the 25 and will say that I was a little shocked at the list. I re-read the parameters of the list and put a lot in the business side of it and it might make sense.
It seems bird count fell short to accommodations. Take for what it's worth but I like a crap hotel and great birds vs great hotel and crap birds.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
I have been to 14 of the 25 and will say that I was a little shocked at the list. I re-read the parameters of the list and put a lot in the business side of it and it might make sense.
It seems bird count fell short to accommodations. Take for what it's worth but I like a crap hotel and great birds vs great hotel and crap birds.
Had a similar response but have only been to 3-4 of the listed locations. I believe your correct in concluding they were focused on room availability in addition to pheasants. Was a little surprised at that coming from Pheasants Forever.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Looks like a bunch of blah blah to me. I have RARELY seen decent public pheasant hunting in MN. maybe once. I cant even imagine hunting here any more unless it was private land. At least in other states you can hunt the ditches.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
For those of you that love hunting these beautiful birds I thought this article was interesting. Was a time when central iowa would have made this list but farming fence row to fence row had taken its toll.

Larry

I think that PF article in from 2012???
Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
Take for what it's worth but I like a crap hotel and great birds vs great hotel and crap birds.
--- My kind of guy.
LOL!
I agree totally and could tell you some pretty funny stories about some of the places I stayed while hunting pheasants... or geese. Ohhh man!
Hoooeeeyyy.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Keeper

there is the SD places and then the rest simple as that
Old 10-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post

I grew up in No Ill but we hunted out of Grinnell from 72 to 78. A few of those years Iowa was the No 1 pheasant state and Poweshiek county was No 1 county in Iowa. Man was there birds out there. Fantastic memories with Dad and all the guys in our crew. Great people out there.

Life goes on and things change.