Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 17.5 tiller coming! - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
- I'll bet your surprised I sat in the Ranger session huh?!!
Naw man, sitting in George's presentation is WAAAAY better than dumpster diving in Flippin AR or Gilgore TX, trying to find out what's new!

Yeap, I'm waiting on Propmann to get his hands on a 15" Spitfire for my Opti, so I can raise that motor even higher.

Take care bud, HRG

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 01-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
tiller dude

I love how some people wanted a 90...um, last time I looked that is what a 618 tiller has. Too big of a boat for alot of us. I will be curious about running a 60 personally. I don't need big speed.

There is always a premium for a Ranger - it is a premium boat. The combo of a boat, motor, trailer, plus the nice cover and fit and finish = money to make and buy. The prices are creeping ever upward and what was normal yesterday is gonna shock people today. "You shoulda' bought one last year!"

I have been waiting for just this boat to come along and be my last rig. Didn't think I would see it happen, so I am really happy. I have wanted a Ranger for quite some time, and since I could afford one they just didn't have a boat for me. I could swing a 618 tiller dollars wise - but to me that is a big boat. On 400 to 1000 acre lakes a 175 tiller will be a cruise ship. occasional big water on nice days and I will be a happy fisherman :-)

Now it is just a matter of waiting patiently.....
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

Could it be that they are using the same hull mold from the TR177 and a new mold for the top cap? If you look at the size of the TR177 it looks very close to the dimensions that are being stated.

I find it hard to believe that they can hold the weight to 1000#. That is what the later model 681T weighed. This boat is 11 inches longer and 6 inches wider than the 681T. I also heard in the video that it will be deeper than the 681T was.

I had a 680T and a 681C and they were great boats, but at my age I need a lighter boat to move around by myself. But, for you young guy's, this will be an awesome boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Minnow

Was there any indication on the speed performance with each engine? Or, can anyone speculate given the boat specs? I would think with a 75hp Etec propped & rigged right this rig could at least push upper-30s.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiller dude View Post
I love how some people wanted a 90...um, last time I looked that is what a 618 tiller has. Too big of a boat for alot of us. I will be curious about running a 60 personally. I don't need big speed.

There is always a premium for a Ranger - it is a premium boat. The combo of a boat, motor, trailer, plus the nice cover and fit and finish = money to make and buy. The prices are creeping ever upward and what was normal yesterday is gonna shock people today. "You shoulda' bought one last year!"

I have been waiting for just this boat to come along and be my last rig. Didn't think I would see it happen, so I am really happy. I have wanted a Ranger for quite some time, and since I could afford one they just didn't have a boat for me. I could swing a 618 tiller dollars wise - but to me that is a big boat. On 400 to 1000 acre lakes a 175 tiller will be a cruise ship. occasional big water on nice days and I will be a happy fisherman :-)

Now it is just a matter of waiting patiently.....
Although there is not a boat built yet, I believe they are taking orders now.

Mak51 - I do not know speed, however it was disclosed extensively the boat is designed to be effective with 3 people on board and a 60 hp engine. Those appeared to be design specifications that were provided to the engineers of what the boat needed to accomplish. To do so, the boat had to weigh 1000 lbs, and will.

Last edited by Burr; 01-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

The other 17' glass tillers are all closer to 1300 lbs. The yamaha report with the skeeter and a 75hp put it around 34mph top end. If this boat is that much lighter, maybe it could be in the upper 30's?? Depends on gear, people, etc.....I guess if you want to go fast, your only option is a 620T with power steering and a 200hp motor!!!! This boat will definitely be popular just because of the price point.

It will be interesting to see the next year unfold with Warrior coming back into play. With their power steering system and being able to put bigger motors on the same size boats, it may force Ranger and others to look into similar systems??
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Ranger Wanna Be

Default Too Small

I love the idea of them coming out with a 17 footer
But my wish list would be rated for a 90
And at least a 90 inch beam

Beams more critcal to me the beam there suggesting seems that the boat would be a little cramped
I run a 16'10" tiller now with a 88 inch beam and would love to have 2 or 3 extra inches of beam
Oh ya Another thing on my wish list would be for it to handle 8 ft rods in storage
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 AM
tiller dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wanna Be View Post
I love the idea of them coming out with a 17 footer
But my wish list would be rated for a 90
And at least a 90 inch beam

Beams more critcal to me the beam there suggesting seems that the boat would be a little cramped
I run a 16'10" tiller now with a 88 inch beam and would love to have 2 or 3 extra inches of beam
Oh ya Another thing on my wish list would be for it to handle 8 ft rods in storage

Your dreams have been answered! It is called the Ranger Fisherman 618 tiller :-) Not being a smart donkey, but really, the boat you are describing sounds like an endorsement of an already existing and well designed Ranger...

This size boat is really the answer for many of us. A 90hp tiller rig of the size you are talking (again - it's called a 618 Tiller) is too big for many. This new boat fills a niche for those of us who are Ranger customers - er, or want to be, but until this time could only choose from a Skeeter 1790t, Yarcraft 1785t or a Tuffy 1760t. I am close to a Ranger dealer that I like, have had Ranger's in the past and this is a boat I would buy (most likely will).
Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Has anyone thought about them bringing out this boat now to compete with the Yarcraft/Basscat 1785BT?

I alway's wanted to buy another 681T, but I could never find the right deal at the right time. I would like to have one of these, but it would be too heavy for me to move around myself.

It does make me second guess my Alumacraft 165 Classic tiller that I have on order.

As far as the price goes, I paid $17,500 for a new 1995 681C with a 115 Evenrude. The last year they made the 681T was 1999, and they were getting close to $20,000 for the boat motor and trailer and that was with a 60 hp two stroke.

You get what you pay for and a Ranger is worth every penny.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wanna Be View Post
The rod locker will accomodate 8 foot rods on the starboard side.