Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
sleeping in truck - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Slot Fish

Default sleeping in truck

Might be an odd question, but have any of you slept in the back seat of your truck? I have a 2011 F150 supercrew and with the seats flipped up it looks like it would be a good place to crash as opposed to setting up a tent on my solo fishing trips. I'm not a tall guy only 5'9". Just looking to see if anyone else has tried it and whether it was comfortable at all. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Get yourself a good chunk of foam or a mattress and you will be good to go.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Either a small mattress that will fit, or just lay driver seat back some, and zzzzzz. I've gotten some good power naps in my easy chair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

If you have a topper make a false floor with pullouts to keep your gear and assemble a sleeping quarters in your topper with a inflatable mattress.
I just think the inside of a cab might not be so comfy and getting a good night's rest is important.
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Although it will work, a nice mattress in the bed of the truck is even better. You can really stretch out and get a good rest.

Right after we had our first child we had a new 2 door hardtop automobile.
We made several trips from the north to south Texas to visit relatives during the Christmas breaks.
I removed the seat back from the front passenger seat and left it at home.
Then, I took one sleeping bag, and left it rolled up and put it between the back of the front seat and the front seat to fill the gap. Then, spread another sleeping bag from the back of the back seat to the front seat.
I am over 6 feet, but this allowed me to stretch out full length and get a good sleep while my wife was driving. We made several trips this way when we were younger and wanted to drive straight through without stopping.

Big difference in being able to completely stretch out when sleeping as opposed to being bent up when sleeping.

Be safe
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Keeper

We have a 2012 F150, dad sleeps in back on the floor all the way to canada. 14 hours.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Keeper

Default sleeping in the truck

I put a topper on my 6.5' Chev pickup box. Built a platform over the wheel wells. A queen sized futon is perfect for the box size. I spent many a comfy nights in there while on fishing trips. Lots of out'a sight storage underneath. Even managed a few fall camping trips in it too. jerr
Old 01-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a topper but I do have one of these http://www.basspro.com/Rightline-Gea...4010409012725/ I have not set it up yet but I'm sure I could get fairly quick at it, the only thing is I will be in the bush so I might get more sleep in the truck as I would have a bit more protection from bears and such
Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

When I was a young pup....I'd throw a Jon boat, oars, anchor,etc in my pickup and head for farm ponds in central SD near Murdo. I'd spend Friday night there sleeping across the front seat. Let me tell you, I'm 6'3", that was a miserable night of attempting to sleep. Is fish all day sat, get home about 9PM, and clean fish. By the time I got a shower and hit the hay I was pretty well shot. Wouldn't change none if it though.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Keeper

-

Interesting topic to me as this came up this past year with an acquaintance that wanted to crash in the car after driving 8hrs to WI to Walleye fish Vs. getting a $50 room. Sure we'd leave here at night get to the area by 3 and we'd be fishing by 6am so why not after driving 8hrs crash on the truck for a couple hours?

Let me mention in my twenties and even in my thirties been there done that.

These middle aged days I prefer to sleep in a comfortable bed and get a decent sleep. Not to mention showering, restroom etc.
That said to each his own, you want to sleep in the car more power to you.

Lol the guy got so raddled by it all when I suggested I'll pay for the room no problem sleep on your bed that he cancelled the trip cause he felt it was a conflict of interest with him wanting to sleep in the car

PS I've also slept in tents, campers, RVs while driving 16hrs to Cypress Marina LA to go yellow fin tuna fishing. I'll do it, much rather sleep in a normal bed. Thank you.

-

Last edited by PeterB; 01-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.