Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs Verado - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Minnow

Default Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs Verado

Thinking of getting a new boat and am looking at the new Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs 150 HP Verado. We do a lot of big motor trolling and am wonder which one to get, and why. Thanks...Greg
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowz View Post
Thinking of getting a new boat and am looking at the new Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs 150 HP Verado. We do a lot of big motor trolling and am wonder which one to get, and why. Thanks...Greg
Slap a Yamaha F150 on the back and enjoy. That or look at the Suzuki or Evinrude. Why don't you want to throw a kicker on to troll with?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Wade, I think he wanted a real motor.

I would go with the new 150 over the Verado.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
I would go with the new 150 over the Verado.
Are you sure he wanted a really crappy motor? Opps, did I say that out loud?

I figured he'd want to be fishing or tubing on the weekends. Not sitting at home while the Verado is in the shop.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 02-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

to me it would depend on the service i got at the dealer. if i was closer to a merc dealer then obviously get a merc. I would also get the standard 150 and NOT the verado. If the dealer sells Merc and Suzuki, i would get the suzuki, same with yamaha, or evinrude. Merc would be my last choice.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

150 mercury 4 stroke, dont need the vrod.

Wade, C'mon man, every time. We all know your story,
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry for how my comparison post looks all jammed together, tried to fix it but still came out that way.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

I received a very nice presentation on the new Merc 150hp 4 stroke at the Miami Boat Show. The Merc rep said this new engine will cannibalize sales of both the V rod and the Opti. According to the Merc rep, most people will find the V rod too expensive compared to this new 150hp. engine. Because in the public's mind there is a perception that 4 stroke is better than 2 stroke, people will buy this engine over the Opi because it is similar in weight and about the same price.
When I asked him to compare this new engine to the Yami 150hp. he claimed that this new engine has much better corrosion protection, a better mounting system when attaching to the transom, a much more powerful alternator, more cubic inches, a simpler valve train, and a more robust lower unit.
The Yami 150 is bullet proof.
Time will tell if this new Merc holds up as well as the Yami
Miami Vice.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Wallhanger

Given Mercury's history of not backing up their defective new offerings, you should avoid any newly introduced Mercury for at least 3 years till you know they aren't doing the newly introduced Optimax Powerhead eating trick.

Personally, after getting completely screwed by Mercury and their joke of an idea of "customer service" and "warranty" and "quality", I will NEVER buy another black motor.

I do have to admit, I know nothing of how Yamaha's warranty claim works, because my two 2008 Yamahas have needed nothing.
But that's a good thing, right?

Last edited by Esoxchaser; 02-25-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowz View Post
It's a tough decision, given you said about doing quite a bit of trolling with the big engine. The Verado is a touch quieter at idle, and you have the option of the electro-hydraulic steering which is very nice. The Verado will likely be a bit faster out of the hole, but will probably use more fuel. With all the options the Verado will be more expensive to purchase.

In testing that Tracker did with a Verado 150 HP and the new FourStroke 150 HP rigged on Targa 18 WT's, the new FourStroke 150 was actually slightly faster at full throttle, and there was not much noise difference between the two engines at WOT. The Verado 150 was stronger out of the hole, but not by much. I know the guys that ran both engines came away very impressed with the new FourStroke 150, and unless you decide that you really need the premium options like steering that you can get with a Verado, I'd say the new FourStroke 150 would be a solid choice.

Lighter and stronger than the competition, Mercury is going to sell a lot of these engines.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13