Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Handheld GPS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Keeper

Default Handheld GPS

Looking to buy a handheld GPS soon. Any recommendations on what seems to work for you? Will be primarily used on the water (both winter/summer). Right now I am considering Garmin in the models GPSMAP 62ST, Oregon 450T, or Oregon 550T. They all accept a Micro SD card. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

The screen is a little smaller, but the Garmin Legend Hcx is a great value.

Jerry
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Keeper

I have the legend hcx, its great for marking spots and being able to return, the screen is so small you have to stop and concentrate on it solely. I use it to mark good ice fishing holes, and where the geese land and I want to hunt in the AM.

The landowner chips are handy if you are a hunter.

I have a topo chip which I use to hunt/navagate during hunting season.

I wish the screen was bigger, and it didn't eat batteries as fast, and the controls were more user friendly (touch screen?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Keeper

Default Handheld GPS

I have a had Delorme Earthmate PN-60 with Navionics Chips (North & East) and love it. Yes, the screen is small, but I can zoom in to get most details that I see on my Hummingbird 898. I found the Delorme menu system easy to learn, although I had to transfer waypoints manually from my Hummingbird to use while ice fishing.

I use it for fishing mostly in Lakes Winnabago, Poygan, Wolf River System, Detroit River & Reelfoot Lake. Found the Navionics contours to be very accurate. Nothing like driving out on the ice and drilling holes right on an underwater hump or breakline.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Wallhanger

I am a big fan of Garmin products, and do have a couple of their handhelds. But for use on the water, I find handhelds to be very difficult to read while under way. I have one Garmin chart plotter rigged with suction cup base and alligator clips so I can move it to other boats like loaners or rentals as needed.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Lakewood,
Another thought is to buy a Garmin Nuvi with a 5 inch screen.
It is a driving gps, but it actually works very well for water use when set up for - cross country routing and - walking mode of transportation.

The advantage of the Nuvi, is that you can use it in your car for driving every day, and it is very inexpensive.

I just picked up a 5 inch Nuvi for $150 - brand new.

It will hold a micro chip so you can load in any maps that you want.

You can't do - some of the hiking and walking functions of the Oregon and other hand helds, but its larger screen is much nicer to use.

The one thing that I don't like about a Nuvi is the touch screen.

I really think that for on the water and fishing use, it is much much better for a gps to have buttons - rather than a touch screen. I have just found that buttons are much easier and more reliable to use in all weather conditions.

REW
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

How about this one, http://store.elecdata.com/products/view_product/2861/1/59/GeoXH_Handheld__#40_Standard_Edition,_with_Floodli ght_%2341_<br />I A mere $6795.00!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Lakewood,
Another thought is to buy a Garmin Nuvi with a 5 inch screen.
It is a driving gps, but it actually works very well for water use when set up for - cross country routing and - walking mode of transportation.

The advantage of the Nuvi, is that you can use it in your car for driving every day, and it is very inexpensive.

REW
Downside though is battery life, most Nuvis are good for 1 - 3 hours max.

They just showed a new one at CES - ultrathin, but no idea on battery life.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Wallhanger

The best global positioning system I have found is the U.S. Air Force's NAVSTAR. The precision can be enhanced with the Federal Aeronautic Administration's wide area augmentation system (WAAS). The best small receiver for the NAVSTAR GPS and WAAS is the GlobalSAT BU-353. They are $35 and output standard NMEA data over USB.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Wallhanger

I like my Garmin Oregon 450T really well. Very user friendly...even I can figure it out.
Best deal I found was at REI.