Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 175T Angler Debuts at Minneapolis Northwest Sportshow - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Keeper

No one has water tested it yet. I'm sure anxious to hear some reports after some guys get them out on the water. With Ranger's track record, I'll just bet this wil be a great boat. Anuyone know when the guys that put their money down will be taking delivery?
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Keeper

For 31k I want a boat that can fish when and where I want, I doubt this one can.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Keeper

My guess is that the folks at Ranger know exactly what they are doing, and this boat will do well. Sure, after looking it over I would have done a few things different, but those folks don't build junk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Keeper

I think jetman may have the best insight having run a 681.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Minnow

When I was at the sports show on Thursday afternoon I talked to Frankie and the model he had was in the water before they brought it down for the show.I can't remember the exact numbers they were getting but he said that the guys that had it out were impressed.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Impressions

Frankly, for those of us that not only fish walleyes but also bass/muskie - this hull of this boat is great. The freeboard is high enough to spray water away (except maybe Lake Erie, but I don't care to fish in 4 footers every day anyway) - and the freeboard is also mid-height so you can flip smallies in, land/release muskies, etc. Very nice. The only 2 items I think its missing are a rear casting deck option (like Tuffy Esox) and front casting deck storage. My buddy won't have anywhere to throw his boat bag ...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btfrk View Post
For 31k I want a boat that can fish when and where I want, I doubt this one can.
The simple answer is, then don't buy it! It is not made for everything, everywhere, and that cheesy low end Tuffy isn't either. One boat is not gonna do everything for everyone. It was made for a certain group of fisherman and obviously, you aren't one of them, so move on.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Can Man

Default I will take one!

For 31 K I want a new fiberglass 20' walleye boat with a 250 hp outboard that I can fish anywhere I want with it. The trouble is all the dealers want 50-65K for that kind of set up. I don't think or expect any kind of 17 foot boat to give me that kind of performance.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW View Post
The simple answer is, then don't buy it! It is not made for everything, everywhere, and that cheesy low end Tuffy isn't either. One boat is not gonna do everything for everyone. It was made for a certain group of fisherman and obviously, you aren't one of them, so move on.
I'm part of that group of anglers this boat is made for and see the real beauty in this design. You see I haven't bought into the marketing hype that it takes large freeboard and a 25" transom and a 250hp motor to fish where and when you want like some have stated. Sheesh this would have been a big hull 15 years ago and if I remember right we fished the same waters back then.

If this hull performs any thing like its predecessor the 681, don't underestimate its all around and big water capabilities. My brothers and I have three 681's between us, two tillers and a console. The rest of our "group" have a 618 a 619 and a 620 all consoles. My experience has been if its fishable the 681's can go out anytime the others can. They will handle rougher water than what you can fish in. Not one time have the bigger boats in our group been able to go out when the 681's couldn't. If it's that rough we trailer to a different landing or don't fish. Nobody else will be out there either including the guides.

I have high expectations for the new 175T. What appeals to me is the ability to fish anywhere anyhow from a simple package and setup. VERSATILITY. Cast and troll forward or backward at any speed. the single axle trailer manuevering in and out of the garage by hand. Being able to load and unload stuff in the the boat by reaching over the sides. The low freeboard and shallow interior for ease of fishing and catching from bluegill/crappie to muskie to walleye. Lighter weight for towing and launching/loading.

That being said I'm probably not buying a new 175T at least not for awhile. It won't do anything that my boat can't already do. There are a couple things that Ranger could change to make it perfect for me.

#1 is a baitwell by the drivers seat. Not sure why this is their third tiller model and none of them have this. I was really hoping that this one was going to have it being based on the 681. Oh well. I would trade in a foot from the rod locker or tackle storage or 6" from each to have a nice 12 inch baitwell next to my right hand so I don't have to get up to get a minnow when jigging. Some days I go through a hundred minnows or more and love that feature on my 681T.

#2 fuel tank built under the floor with storage in the front deck. Thats where my life jackets and raincoats cushion and anchor go in my boat.

#3 Transom that you can clamp a trolling motor or kicker motor onto without having to add a bracket of some sort.

#4 This is minor but I wish it was the fisherman series
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
B Turgeon

People are voting with their wallets, quite a few sold at the show.