Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Would you consider making your own lures for... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Minnow

Default Would you consider making your own lures for...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Choices

I voted for enriching the experience; but could have voted for "all of the above" without a problem.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default To tinker or not to tinker, that is the question?

All fisherman dream of creating a better "mouse trap", either by design or by modifying a present design.

Some of the most productive lures today came from garage inventors that found there way into main stream tackle lines.

So again all the above can apply in one form or another to me. About 1 out of 20 ideas actually show some promise, but you still keep the old gears grinding just in case.

Backwater Eddy ~ ~ ~><sUMo> ~ ><>

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/Res...wtr1/home.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2002, 07:23 AM
Minnow

Default RE: To tinker or not to tinker, that is the question?

Tinkering is exactly how I started making my own lures in my own colors several years back.
It's a lot of fun and many times I spent more time making lures than fishing. I'll tell you though, if you think its upsetting to lose a good lure you bought at a tackle store...when you lose one you made yourself...you fish with a vengeance!
Old 02-11-2002, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

We frequently spent hours drilling and doctoring Rapala's to get them just right.

The whole process takes time to get them just right and allow for the lacquer to dry between coats. When you finally produced the perfect doctored Rap's you valued them very highly.

When you lost or hung one up, it was not a good scene. Filling your waders up with bone chilling water was common when desperately trying to retrieve a favorite tried and true Doctored Rap, even in 40 degree water and like air temps. Good ones with lots of walleye fang holes on them were that precious to us!

With the advent of commercially produced, heavier and easy to cast neutral buoyant plugs, it made many Doctored Rap guru's, well kind'a lazy.

We soon found the local sporting goods store shelf a much easier option then the long process of drilling and Doctoring.

I still do the Rap doctoring thing, as do others who value the process, as a art form more then out of necessity.

Backwater Eddy ~ ~ ~><sUMo> ~ ><>

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/Res...wtr1/home.html

Old 02-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Cangl

All of above and then some, maybe even non-profit.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Almost all of the above...

I make my own jigs (Jamie Jigs :-)) for my own use. Pretty much the same at Greg Bohn Timber jigs. The Timber Jigs were WAY too expensive for my wallet so I decided to make them on my own. It takes a little while to make them, but in this case I'd rather spend my time than my money. Plus, I enjoy it.

Best Regards,

FJH
Old 02-11-2002, 12:17 PM
suzuki

Default RE: Almost all of the above...

I started making my own lindy rigs 5 years ago to save money since they are usually well over a dollar in the store and I go through alot of them snagging in rivers. Now I like the satisfaction of catching fish on my own rigs. I can also tinker with the jewelry
(beads,hooks,spinners,length,line diameter,etc) and try to find the right combination for a given water/day.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Lure making, etc

I started out making jigs to use in the Detroit River, got tired of buying them. It was a lot of fun, started making different things I had a hard time finding, like bottom bouncers in heavier weights, weight forward spinners (same reason), then I got into making some bass and pencil sinkers, the guy at my marina would sell on the counter next to his cash register. I just bought a mold to make snap weight type sinkers. Its all for fun. I like using powder paint to doctor them up, too.

Gives you a good feeling when you catch something on something you made, another thing I like making is crawler harnesses.

So I could probably answer "all of the above", I guess, except for the braggin rights thing.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.