Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shotgun For Defense - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
All of these comments are fine.
But if the posters keep loaded guns around the house - are they ready to point the gun at another person and pull the trigger with the idea of removing their life.

If not, there should not be loaded guns in the house. Otherwise you just have a false sense of protection.

It is quite different from having a loaded gun and actually taking another persons life.

Remember, it is YOU, the person that pulled the trigger, the person that will live with its consequences for the rest of YOUR life.

Good luck and be safe
REW
I'd much rather deal with the death of an intruder breaking into my house, than the kidnapping/death(s) of my family members. I know in my mind that I'll be able to handle a robber's death on my conscience if I know that that person was intending harm. NO PROBLEM!
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerloader View Post
Smaller shot has the added advantage of limited penetration through walls. At close range, skeet/trap shot (7-1/2, 8 or 9) would create a devastating wound. There is no surgeon that is sufficiently skilled to turn hamburger back into a roast.

Man, it would not be good even at a longer range. I have visions of some burglar handcuffed to a table getting a couple hundred BBs out from under his skin. That would certainly teach him without killing em.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chode2235 View Post
Man, it would not be good even at a longer range. I have visions of some burglar handcuffed to a table getting a couple hundred BBs out from under his skin. That would certainly teach him without killing em.
At close range (within the limited confines of most homes) there won't be such thing as picking shotgun BB out from under the skin! There will be a one inch or larger hole getting larger the further the shot penetrates! Being hit with one round of 12ga, 00 buckshot would in essence be the same as being hit with 9 rounds from a 9mm.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

each and every state needs to add the "stand your ground" law. I know there are a few states that have done this and we need to get South Dakota to add this.

Don
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chode2235 View Post
Yeah, its only 8x the size of the pin hole 9mm round.

The shotgun is much more effective, not really/only from a lethality standpoint, but also a psychological.

When someone loads a round into the chamber of a shotgun it is loud enough and distinct enough to instill a lot of fear. Also, if you fire the thing it is loud enough to ensure your neighbors hear it, and if you miss chances are that your intruder will not be around long enough for a second chance.

00 buck is certainly lethal, and a shotgun is much more effective as a home defense weapon than a handgun.
The point is the shotgun is still a small pattern and has to be aimed. It is superior in lethal effect for sure and also much easier to have it taken away from you if you're roaming around looking for the intruder who's already used to the dark. And BTW ever turn on one of those night bright flashlights after you've been asleep? Doesn't do a lot for your vision for a bit either.

My main peeve with the post was the part about moving the injured/dead back into the house. You have then put yourself into hot water.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
John Adams 1826
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
MK cant log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
My main peeve with the post was the part about moving the injured/dead back into the house. You have then put yourself into hot water.
I think a good argument could be made that the shotgun blast knocked the criminal back out the door.

Luckily, in this state, you don't have to worry about the inside/outside BS. You're within your rights to shoot someone in your driveway stealing your car or truck.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

I think more important than what you use, is how you use it.

I somehow doubt that someone kicking in the back door and knows your home is going to give you time to get your weapon out of a safe, lock box, whatever, and then give you time to rack the slide, there by scaring the doo doo out of them..what I think would happen is you'd wake up to something not right, maybe a noise, yelling, some sort of disturbance and you have seconds to arm yourself, wake up enough to know who's coming your way and react.

In that case, for me anyway, a revolver is the better choice, less firepower, but still deadly.

Also should you have no other alternative than to shoot someone and they do fall out a window, door, whatever, leave them there.
That was told to me by every cop and/or gun class I've taken or talked to.

Lots of opinions on protecting your self and family, you have to find the one that works for you..IMHO

Always a good disscussion as long as it remains civil..

Al
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Noah Cantell

Default Practicality

The practical shooting distance inside a residence - room to room - or - down a hallway - is at most 30 feet. A 12 gauge shotgun with high brass #7's will produce a 8-10" spread at that distance - less at lesser distances. It too will go through walls. As with hunting, be mindful of what is beyond your target.

Unless you are awake during a break-in don't expect to have your wits and wide awake attitude about you. As a pre-warning, best thing is to get loud alarms, security lights/motion detectors, and a barking dog(s). Chances are perps won't go near your house if you have these. If they do come in, you'll be better prepared.

More good advice is to have your family trained on "Battle Stations" if an intruder is in the house. You don't want a family member dumb enough to wander through the house in the dark to see what's up, and then you accidentally shooting the wrong target.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Luckily, in this state, you don't have to worry about the inside/outside BS. You're within your rights to shoot someone in your driveway stealing your car or truck.[/quote]

What state are you in? Never heard of such a thing.
Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...ng-to-break-in

Police said an intruder was shot and killed after trying to break into a 82-year-old man's home early Thursday.
According to police, the homeowner, Charles Robbins, 82, awoke around 6 a.m. to find a man trying to enter his home, near Woodland Avenue and A1A.
Robbins said the intruder was wearing a ski mask, and had a hammer and a screwdriver. So he grabbed his World War II Russian handgun and shot the man through his door, and then called 911.
When police arrived, they said they found the suspect, 24-year-old Tyler Orshoski, dead in the front yard.
Police said they believe Orshoski was behind several recent burglaries in the same neighborhood.
"The homeowner did something the criminal justice system couldn't do with this guy," said Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood. "We're familiar with the burglar. He put him out of business."
Chitwood said the homeowner was within his rights to shoot the intruder, because he believed his life was in danger.
Robbins says he would do it again if he had to.
"Oh yeah, in a nano second," he said. "Better nobody try to break into my house or they'll get the same thing he did.”
Robbins says his neighbors should arm themselves as well and shoot anyone who tries to break into their homes.
Neighbors in the Beachside neighborhood said it was not the first time a fellow homeowner was forced to defend himself.
Just last year a suspect tried breaking into a home down the street from Robbins.
In that case, the suspect was shot and crawled to neighbor Dave Hill's home.
"Twenty four years old, he died in my arms, and that was the first one. Then, there's one about four blocks down and this the third one now," described Hill.
Homeowners living directly across from Robbins said they were not armed yet, but were thinking of buying a firearm after what happened.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112