Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reel to match rod/application - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Default Reel to match rod/application

I recently purchased a G-Loomis Walleye Series casting rod designed to fish bottom bouncing rigs. As I’m a big fan of Shimano spinning reels, I had been leaning towards the Shimano Castaic as the reel. However I recently received some advice to consider a few other reels that have more of a traditional flipping switch. The two reels I’m now looking at are:

Daiwa - MegaForce MF150i
Quantum – Accurist PT AC500PT

I would appreciate any feedback on these two reels as well as any other considerations from those that have done a good amount of bottom bouncing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2002, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Reel to match rod/application

It really doesn't matter much what reel your put on your rod.
Just get a reel with the following characteristics.
1. Perfect drag - no hung drags please, to seize, break line and or
lose fish.
2. Enough ball bearings so that you get years of service out of the reel without significant maintenance.

3. 0 back lash - reel handle. i.e. - when you stop reeling, have the spool and handle stop right there, with no back up on the reel.

4. I much prefer a paddle handle for reeling. No wood handle please. I prefer the rubbery type plastic handle in a flat paddle. Excellent life, easy to hold, and nice to reel.

5. In the case of a spinning reel - a high quality anti twist roller on the reel bail.

As you shop - you will find lots of different brands reels; that satisfy the list given above. You can find many of these traits in reels that are less than $50. Of course, if you want to; you can spend over $500 on a reel. However, in general - the $500 reel won't put any more fish in the boat.

Buy the required features at the best price. Don't buy a reel; just because of a particular brand name.

Take care
REW

Old 11-28-2002, 06:27 AM
steve(IL)

Consider returning the Loomis rod. Lots of reasons why. Bouncing doesn't require it or the fancy price tag. As far as a reel - something w/ the features REW described(plus lefthand crank) can be found on clearance for around $50. Look for Quantums, Brownings, etc. Low profile bass types are nicer than round types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2002, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

Of the 2 reels you show, get the Diawa. I have two of the Megaforce 150i's and think they are great. I have not owned the particular Quantun you show, but every single Quantum I have owned were junk within a year. Either the worm gears lunch out or the drags lock up at the worst time.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Keeper

Steve - Thanks for the comments, but I got a sweet deal on the G-Loomis (online, discount, no tax, no shipping) and after having used my G-Loomis jigging rod for a year I'm a huge G-Loomis fan. I have more feel with that rod than any other I've ever held. This rod is no different and I can't wait to lay into some monster Lac Seul walleyes this summer. No way this rod is going anywhere but in my boat!

Bad Finger - Thanks for the comments on the Daiwa MegaForce. I own a Daiwa SS Tournament 1600 spinning reel and the thing is built like a tank and reliable as can be. My only concern was the lack of ball bearings, 3 as compared to 5 with the Quantum, however it was also good to hear your history with Quantums. How do you like the flipping switch on the MegaForce?

Any other baitcasting fans that can help educate this spinning jigging fool would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

If your main purpose for this set up is bottom bouncing, the flippin switch is a must. The Magafoce works great, no slop, when you let up on the switch, it instantly engauges.

I have mine matched up with a "St. Croix AC70MF 7' Med Fast”. I use it 90% casting cranks, 10 % Bottom Bouncing.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Jeff

Default Revised Castaic on the way

I have read a couple of times on bass boards that there is a new Castaic about to come out. The swith to engage the reel has been changed.

This means two things, one you may want to wait to check out the new one before buying, or two, there may be some closeout pricing ahead on the old ones.

In my opinion, if all you are going to do is bottom bounce with the reel, I wouldn't spend that much. I agree that a flipping switch is a very handy.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Revised Castaic on the way

If you keep a look out for one of these, they periodically show up on ebay listings. The price can be very reasonable for a used reel. Finding a "new in the box" one is considerably more rare. The reel is a Daiwa PS2L-5B. Has instant anti-reverse and a flippin' switch and left handed cranking. If you are going to use it for bottom bouncing and hold the rod in your hand so you can impart a little more bouncing action to your rig, this reel works terrific. If you want a right handed crank version, it's just PS2-5B. They both have five bearings. My son has used a PS2L-2B for the past two years and it seems to work just about as well with only two bearings.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I tend to agree with the others that have posted. For strictly bouncing there is no need to spend a wad on lots of bearings or fancy cast controls. Flipping switch and low profile are a must. The Quantums in mid-price range aren't the best reels for casting cranks, but work well for bouncing. Their drags are pretty good too. Cabelas and Bass Pro have some good reels for reasonable $$ that fit the bill, but parts may be a problem later if you plan on keeping it a while.

Tim
Old 11-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Minnow

Here is my 2 cents

you fish because you like it

buy what you want

my bouncer rod is a priceless sage custom made with a shimano chronarch reel

no it wasn't cheap but my house wasn't either nor was the rent in my apt or my boat or the phone bill or my income taxes or liscense tabs for my truck or gas or warm clothes or stamps to mail a letter....

hey guys let him get the castaic its the best bouncer reel he can buy and will probably be the last one he has to buy is it cheaper to replace things every 2-3 years maybe i fish more than most maybe i am harder on my gear than most but the last time i tried to save money on something it was a reel a corsair in fact and it was junk just like the okumas i have 6 of in my garage in my opinion but the tackle you really want don't skimp unless your fishing trips are spent in a bar!

now before i get chewed out by you guys i realize that not everyone works 60-80hrs a week like i do and still manages to fish 120-140days a year in minnesota but i do and i value every second on the water i feel that having gear that you can count on is priceless just like the time you spend fishing

Jigger1 it seams like you do go for the castaic not because its what you need because its the best you can get!