Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much would you tip a guide? - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=REW;5442370]Speaking of tips:

Every now and then, when my wife and I have gone out and have received an exceptional meal, I will get up and go into the kitchen and personally give a tip to the chef or person who prepared the meal for us.

I do think that the extra effort of some of the cooks should be rewarded. I typically do NOT give that tip to the wait person and ask that they deliver the tip to the cook.

I am a bit leery that the tip may not ever reach the intended person.

Whenever I have done this I see real appreciation in the eyes of the person receiving the tip.

Be safe[/QUOTE]

:yea-right:
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Wallhanger

I will though my two cents in for tipping. I think how much you tip also has to do with how much money you make yourself. When I was in my 20s I did not tip much. I also was not making that much money. I never hired a guide mainly because my friends would never split the cost. Something that would make me tip a guide more is fuel use. If they stayed in a not as good spot instead of moving 5-10 miles because of fuel cost tipping would be less. If they spent allot on fuel tipping would be higher. For me I would rather just know the total cost ahead of time. I do have problems with the restaurant industry that keep putting a higher tip percentage out their. Seemed like it used to be 10% now they say 18%. Maybe 20 soon. I think it is a means for the restaurants to hide the true costs of a meal. You look at the menu prices and do not think about the 18% more. They should just raise their menu prices up and pay their help more. Go back to 10% tips.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Snowking;5442482]I will though my two cents in for tipping. I think how much you tip also has to do with how much money you make yourself. When I was in my 20s I did not tip much. I also was not making that much money. I never hired a guide mainly because my friends would never split the cost. Something that would make me tip a guide more is fuel use. If they stayed in a not as good spot instead of moving 5-10 miles because of fuel cost tipping would be less. If they spent allot on fuel tipping would be higher. For me I would rather just know the total cost ahead of time. I do have problems with the restaurant industry that keep putting a higher tip percentage out their. Seemed like it used to be 10% now they say 18%. Maybe 20 soon. I think it is a means for the restaurants to hide the true costs of a meal. You look at the menu prices and do not think about the 18% more. They should just raise their menu prices up and pay their help more. Go back to 10% tips.[/QUOTE]

I think you're spot on with regard to tipping more as we grow older.

I've been tipping 20% for years...I've had those jobs, I know what it's like to scraping by...

I reward good service, even more exceptional service...but I've become intolerant of poor service. Not only will the tip be just enough to get your attention (you'll know I didn't just forget), but you'll likely hear about it while its happening.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Bobby,
From your response, it doesn't sound like you have ever left a tip for the Cook.

If not - why not?

The cook prepared the meal - not the wait staff.

Be safe
Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=REW;5444146]Bobby,
From your response, it doesn't sound like you have ever left a tip for the Cook.

If not - why not?

Be safe[/QUOTE]

Read the responses to your new thread that you started about tipping a cook.. You just regurgitated the same post on that thread as you did here....almost verbatim.....geeezzzz.

PjShorthorn :rock-on:
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=REW;5444146]Bobby,

If not - why not?

Be safe[/QUOTE]

Restaurants I like to frequent have chefs not cooks, but either way he/she is making a LOT more money then servers who are paid UNDER minimum wage, that is why you are expected to tip the waitress/waiter and not the chef. I really didn't think I needed to explain this to you.

Also the government automatically taxes a server on expect amount of tips they would receive, so by tipping the "cook" instead of the servers you are actually taking money away from the server and giving it to the "cook" who is not taxed on expected wages based on hours worked. Thus the server pays taxes on money not receive because of you. SAD
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra